[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I agree with Eko-lan; Fred's take on the temperament test...

  • From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Barbara Galasso" <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:33:38 -0600

to me the TT should be done in a common sense manner...if you were to
approach a person on the street with a GSD...you would ask if you could pet
the dog...you would grab the lead..you wouldn't put your face in the dogs
face...you wouldn't "waller" the dog..hugging it's neck..you wouldn't make
weird noises..in other words you would not portray yourself as being a
"hostile" stranger..instead of a friendly stranger..the object of the TT
should be to weed out dogs who act abnormally under as normal circumstances
as we can simulate. Grant you being away from an owner with a handler is
not "normal" and it is normal for a dog to be looking for his owner...but
they should not be doubled.Anyone one who has done any dog training should
know..that dogs learn by repetition..by the time a dog reaches the level of
a Special..he should understand that this is part of the 'routine"..so when
you have dog that seems to never become comfortable with what is expected
of him..even having done it several times...you have to certainly wonder
about soundness..Usually if you watch the dog closely..you can see signs of
stress...while he is just standing in the ring..lots of yawning...tail
looks somewhat tucked I am certain if you could lift the dogs tail..instead
of falling nicely into a sabre.it would be stiff..and when dropped would
tend to curve "tail" tucked inward..and of course the eyes tell so much. I
get tired of hearing excuses about temperament...when I hear statements
such as.."this judge bent over and reached for the dog..and you shouldn't
do that,this is why he spooked or tried to bite." that is nuts..just think
if it were a kid..C.Grainger