[ SHOWGSD-L ] Human Medicine Q

  • From: Diane Wright <Diwri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD L <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:38:21 -0500

My brother (a 1961 model) has been having problems with numb toes & numb
hands. I'm not sure if the hands are just numb or not feeling with a
pins-n-needles sensation. He said it's very painful, he can't sleep or
work. I'm not sure what aspect hurts.

Last week he had carpal tunnel surgery on the worst hand, and said that
the pain from the surgery is going away, but his hand is still numb (or
pins-n-needles feeling). I believe his toes (both feet) are just numb. A
dr. told him that extremity numbness wasn't common except in diabetics.
My brother is not diabetic & recent blood tests show he's not
pre-diabetic either. He's fit, works out at the gym, doesn't smoke or
drink. He eats very little fatty food & doesn't like chocolate. I don't
know how he lives.... he is addicted to Pepsi tho. ;-)

He is a welder. He's had 3 problems with DVT in the past couple years
and is on medication to keep his blood thin.
One of the nurses he came in contact with due to the carpal tunnel
surgery asked if he'd had an MRI  after the dvt episodes to make sure
the clots weren't pressing on his spinal cord.... she made it sound like
an MRI after dvt episodes was a normal procedure. He's never had an MRI.

Does anyone have any experience with such symptoms?

Private replies please!

Diane