[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: How many litters.....

  • From: Karen4paws@xxxxxxx
  • To: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:35:59 EDT

Responsible breeders are not the issue in rescue. In fact once a breeder on
this list saw a dog on our web site that they thought looked like their lines
and within days had this 8 year old bitch back in their kennel. They had not
seen her since sold as a puppy and the people who needed to re-home her did
not  contact the breeder just put her in rescue. Now, try contacting Joe Smith
who  had a litter of puppies so their children could witness birth and gave
them away  to anyone who would take them and say - hey a dog you bred is in
rescue and they  would say that is your problem. For the people who care about
their breed  and breed to produce more quality dogs to continue the breed as it
is meant to  be for years to come - to stop breeding because there are so many
dogs in rescue  will not help the problems our society has with dog numbers at
all. All it would  do if we all stopped breeding our dogs is to extinguish
the GSDs that we know  and love.

I am not saying that well bred dogs do not find their way into rescue. I
would guess 30% of the dogs we take in are well breed dogs of their respective
breed. However, if the other 70% would go away the number of dogs euthanized
would drop drastically. I do not have the answer to the problem. Many in rescue
 believe anti breeding and mandatory spay/neuter is the answer. It is if you
want  to extinguish dogs as we know them. I for one don't have any desire to
see that  happen. There is definitely a need for some sort of action to stop
the mass  killing of dogs that is necessary in today's society due to the sheer

numbers of dogs in shelters. However, telling those who breed to better the
breed  - to not breed their dogs because of the rescue issue and the  sick
people who harm dogs is pointless. It would not stop this problem at  all.

I for one will continue to help in rescue because it is needed and not
because I plan to breed dogs. I do not think we should hold responsible
breeders
accountable or make them feel guilty for breeding. I am confident that should
any dog find it's way to us and the papers would indicate the dog was bred by
a  responsible breeder and I would contact them - that they would be more than
 happy to help with the dog in any way they could. That is what we as
responsible  breeders do. I do not expect that these same breeders help with
your
typical poorly bred, GSD produced in a non-responsible manner. However,  over
the years that I have been on this list whenever I brought a dog into  rescue
who needed help - this list came through. From Kris Kringle who needed  hip
surgery to the GSD puppy Mill where we took 40 dogs the people on this list
have
helped. I have posted rescues and had them find homes because one of  the
responsible breeders on this list shared the dogs info with someone  they knew
looking for a pet dog. To yell at this group of GSD breeders and  enthusiasts
is
not needed...this is not where the problem lies.