[ SHOWGSD-L ] Hobby versus profession

  • From: lollark@xxxxxxx
  • To: caggra@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 18:23:50 +0000

Jeff Pyle said "However, when the very nature of our organization and existence
is for the value, promotion,  and passion for well-bred, cared for pure bred
GSD's, then I believe that our
> membership has the right to expect a certain level voice through it's elected
> board representatives, when it comes to a situation like this. "
Thank you Jeff for articulating what we stand for as the GSDCA.  This is
central to the problem we are now facing.  One of the posts on the topic of
Hunte and his business shared a response he made.  Did you notice how he is
positioning his interests versus ours?  He is a "professional" breeder-- we are
(just) "hobby" breeders.  The valence of those two words is significantly
different.  A hobby is something we do for our own pleasure...a sideline or a
pastime.  A profession implies education, quality control, and credentials.
Think of the difference between a professional athlete and a person who enjoys
sports for a hobby.  Or the ability of a professional pianist compared to one
who dabbles at the piano as a hobby.

We need to look at our choice of self-identity and use words that better
reflect our deep passion and investment in our dogs.  Hobby will just be swept
away as an insignificant player in the dog world.  We're playing for much
bigger stakes than whether or not this person joins the club.  We're playing
for who names the game.

Karen Lollar