[ SHOWGSD-L ] Hobby breeders

  • From: "Lonna Fisher" <lonnagsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showdogs" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:28:15 -0700

Hi all,
           I have been reading with interest all the comments ...............
must say .. and this is my opinion ............ that I find nothing wrong with
whatever someone wants to charge for His/her puppies, after all they bred,
raised and loved them, raising dogs is not for everyone, they can really cause
a mess (just ask anyone raising puppies in the house), they can bring heart
ache but they also bring pride, joy, hours of intertainment and things that a
non breeder would not understand ... and that is okay.
BUT I must say I guess I am from the old days, yes I guess at 60 I am but $6000
to raise a healthy litter with no added vet costs .............. first if I am
breeding my own stud and my own bitch, I do not do any pre breeding tests (if
they are healthy, why check semen before every breeding?), I put them out in
the yard and stud breeds bitch ............ okay sure I have done AI’s, tests
etc when necessary . but not every time, I give my own shots, worming is done
by me, all puppies are vet checked and barium x-rayed prior to selling (having
had mega many many years ago) ... . (a litter of 9 was $900) add on cost of
food, toys, advertising etc,  I feed Costco brand, my dogs do well on it, shiny
coats, good stools, I sell my pups for $800 as pets, each pup is sold with a
contract, pedigree, copies of health checks on parents, registration papers
etc.  and food for the first few days.

Now showing dogs, advertising your stud, handlers etc can be thousands and
thousands of dollars, than add on the cost of health screening, the cost is
high ............. for some big name dogs that are shown across country the
cost can be almost out of this world, that is the breeders/owners choice but to
ask a pet puppy buyer to pay high prices for a healthy puppy .............. is
that fair?

We are talking about raising puppies and selling them but here is a question
............ lets say you have this real nice litter of 9, you sell three
pretty quickly, now the puppies are 3 months old, looking good, you are keeping
a couple to grow out, leaving four still looking for homes ............... as
they get older, what do you do IF the sales are NOT there?

For me I lower my price and the puppies are kept until I can find them homes
.................. I raise my dogs because of the pride I feel when one of my
“furkins” does well at the shows but I also feel pride when I get letters
from my puppy buyers telling me how happy they are with their pup, I love
getting the pictures of the family, and having the same family come back for
another puppy when they loose their old friend. I raise dogs because I enjoy it
and I want too ..................... of course I do have the odd day when my
kitchen has been a puppy play yard for two hours or more and looking at the
mess that awaits me ........... I do wonder if it is worth it ...............
and the answer is a big fat YES!!!!!!

Take care
Lonna  and the Sunflower gang

Lonna Fisher