[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hip dysplasia and carriers

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 11:00:31 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/2010 8:07:50 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I've  learned through  the years that OFA certification is not the 'be-
all  and end all" of breeding.  Case in point:  We bred Jeenellyn's
Sunyab, CDX, OFA EXCELLENT to 2 stud dogs who were OFA certified.   In
EVERY litter there were dysplastic puppies. Obviously she was  a
CARRIER for hip dysplasia!  Like Paula said--the baby and the  bath
water. . .
Penny in NC
Not only that Penny, I have always been suspicious of dogs that have one
excellent hip and the other is a bit iffy.  Definitely don't through this
away.   Have tracked several of animals with this and asked questions,  and
frequently find out this pup may have been a breach pup (for those wonderful
breeders that keep such accurate records).   When you help a bitch  that
cannot get a breach pup out and you have to do a little pulling....don't  you
think you could be doing just enough that it could pull too much on one side
and slightly displace one hip?   Had this discussion with Barb Wms  years
back and she did agree with me.
I bred a bitch that had one excellent hip the other hip was just slightly
over the round and would not certify.  She had a litter of 8 and of the 4
that were xrayed, all were OVC certified.

Molly
Trillia German Shepherds since 1972 PH  409-287-3940
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont (recording secretary),  Life Member
CKC
"Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to  recognize a mistake
when you make
it again."

NOTICE:
This e-mail is confidential and intended for the  exclusive use of the
addressee. Any other person is strictly prohibited from  disclosing,
distributing or reproducing it. If you have received this e-mail  by mistake,
please
notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail and delete all  copies.