[ SHOWGSD-L ] Hey Stormy! COLORADO VICTORY

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:09:32 EST

JUST got this message... a  victory in CO!

> Mrs Tina Villani called us from the Colorado State Capitol and  reports
that SB054 to repeal Colorado's Dangerous Dog Law that  prohibits BSL at the
local level died in the Senate Local Government  Committee. The vote was 5-2
and
then a reverse roll call was taken which  insured the Bill is dead.

> Tina reports that one of the Senators  made a comment that she had a
statement from the Chief of Police of North  Glen (Russ VanHouten) stating Pit
Bull
Terriers were not dangerous and that  was good enough for her.  Tina was the
first to speak and below is her  speech. The message from the  Senate was that
they could not understand why  Denver was wanting to repeal  the existing
state law when the issues of  Home Rule Authority have not been closed.

Opposition for SB054  at the hearing came from ACF (Tina Villani) CVMA Dr
Cawl, CAWA Jan Smith,  RJ Oconnell (Parker Colorado resident),  Russ VanHouten
(Chief of  Police  North Glen Co.)
and two other Veterinarians from  Colorado.

Support came from Colorado Muni League (Sam Mament) for Denver  Co.

Glen  Bui
ACF

TINA VILLANI'S  OPPOSITION SPEECH SB054 2006 SESSION

Good afternoon madam chairman  and members of the local government  committee.

I am a  representative of the American Canine Foundation, a dog owner and  a
resident of Colorado.  Senate Bill 054 is before you today and there  is very
important data that you must hear regarding this  legislation.

The issue of home rule over the regulation and control  of specific breeds of
dogs was addressed by a Denver District Court in  April 2005, the case is
still open and in the Colorado Court of Appeals,  there is not a published
opinion at this time.

In July of 2004  Denver City Attorney Kory Nelson could not defend Denver's
breed ban at  trial. A Denver Pit Bull owner named Howard Margolius represented
by the  law firm of Walter Gerash challenged Denvers Pit Bull law, at trial
he  proved Denvers animal control officers could not identify an American Pit
Bull Terrier beyond a reasonable doubt and his charges for violating the  law
were dismissed.

> Denver's City Attorney Kory Nelson is  releasing flawed data to other
Colorado cities on breed specific  legislation. He has failed to disclose that
Denver's breed ban will not  withstand court litigation. Mr. Nelson was quoted
in
the San Francisco  Chronicle telling the public people would be justified in
shooting Pit  Bulls running loose. The media is not reporting the truth behind
dog  attacks in our state. Recently in Aurora a  ten year old boy was mauled
by  three dogs, the media reported them as Pit Bulls, we have data indicating
one dog was a chow and another one was a mixed breed. Last year a 7 year  old
girl was attacked by two Malamutes in Colorado, she died and the dogs  were a
pair, male and female spayed and
neutered.  Many breeds of  dogs are responsible for causing severe injury in
Colorado and the media  never reports it, they only report Pit Bull attacks
and a lot of those  reports involved other breeds the media refuses to name.

BSL  terrorizes innocent dog owners who have family pets, it only  targets
responsible owners who license their dogs and can be easily  located, it brings
people who care for their animals to court where they  face criminal charges,
it causes serious overpopulation in shelters, it is  not stopping
irresponsible pet owners because by taking a specific breed  away from somebody
because
the claim is the breed is dangerous when there  is no breed of dog that's
dangerous to that degree is without meaning, it  has no logic,

There is no data available to support a finding  that a specific breed of dog
is inherently dangerous to the point of  banning the ownership. Current data
from Dr. Brady Barr who was on the  Discovery Channel and National Geographic
shows that the bite pressure of  the average size canine is apx 300lbs per
square inch including the  American Pit Bull Terrier. The Pit Bull Terrier does
not lock it jaws and  other breeds of the same size and smaller have inflicted
the same amount of  damage when attacking according
to accurate fatal attack and dog bite  incident reports. Scientific
evidence shows that the environment  creates the behavior of the canine.

> Denver cites the Center for  Disease and Control Study done on fatal dog
attacks between 1979 and 1998  where it claims that Pit Bulls and Rottweilers
are responsible for the  majority of fatal attacks . The study is flawed, it
left out over 90 fatal  dog attacks that occurred during that time period,  it
does not  include the populations of the 32 breeds of dogs responsible for
fatalities  and without being able to divide the number of the fatal attacks by
the
 breeds with their populations there is no way to determine which breeds is
more likely to attack causing death.

At this time I have filed a  lawsuit challenging Home Rule Authority and the
constitutionality of breed  specific legislation against the city of  Aurora,
they have filed a motion  to dismiss my case, it shows that Aurora fears going
to trial where current  scientific data would be used to prove that no breed
of dog is inherently  dangerous.

Dangerous dog laws that include strong penalties for  irresponsible dog
owners have been proven effective in protecting the  public, there is no
accurate
documentation showing that breed specific  legislation protects the public.

I ask you not to vote on  legislation coming from the bench based on a case
from Denver that is  not closed at this time.

> Thank you !

Ginger Cleary,  Rome, GA
"One of the greatest delusions of the world is  the HOPE that the EVILS of
this world are to be CURED BY LEGISLATION." Thomas  B. Reed 1886

_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)