[ SHOWGSD-L ] Herding brags

  • From: SUSAN SULLIVAN <susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowgsdL <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:51:54 -0700 (PDT)

For the last week and a half, we have been tending sheep in rain drenched New
England.  Columbus Day weekend saw many new titles earned at the GSDC of
Central MA trials.  These C course trials are usually quite beautiful but
instead it was a long hard day slogging through the mud, rain and wind.  The
runs take about a half an our each on the trial course so there is no way the
dogs, handlers, judges etc weren't soaked.  But it also demonstrated the dogs
endurance, dedication and soundness to work in such conditions not to mention
the same traits in the handlers!

Oin the trial classes, we had some really impressive runs.  Dallas(aka BIS Sel
Ch AOE Kismets Sight for Sore Eyes PT HSCs ROM!) and Colin Howells finished
their HSCs title with a reserve high in trial.  Dallas may be the first ROM to
earn a trial title in herding.  While he isn't the first Best in Show he is
probably now one of the very very few.  At nine and a half this guy was so
exhuberent and having such a blast working the sheep like his ancesters over a
hundred years ago .  Carol Buchanan and her Ch Sea Crest's Heart of Gold,
finished their HSCs as well.  This lovely sable girl finished her CH this
spring and has matured into a great sheep dog.  She earned the title in three
straight going reserve one day andhigh another.  Another oldster, finished her
HXCs at nine and a half.  Jean DeNaopli and this youthful looking sable bitch,
Pfeffer, finished their title this weekend going high in trail at the North
East Stock dog trials.  Pfeffer finished her HSCs over Labor Day w
 eekend,
 very impressive for an older dog.  Another HXCs was also finished, Eunice
Gerloff brought her rescue GSD up from Texas to do it in three straight.
Lastly, my Sel Ch Omega's American Express daughter, Omega's Peaceful EZ
Feeling HXCs, bred by Clary and Frank Douwes and owned with me, finished her
herding championship, going high in trial for her last two trials.  EZ went
High in trial five times to earn her championship points.  While we only had
two PT entries they were good ones! My Firethorn's Lotalatte Von Weiden,had two
nice runs to get a PT.  Colin Howells piloted his new Canadian Sel.Am. Ch.
Dayglyn's Knickerbocker Glory both days to earn shiney a new PT.  This
spectacular girl also won the midwest Maturity this year.  She really
demonstrated that the American show dogs do have the mind and the soundness to
do the work they were origionally bred for.  Deena has the drive, independence
and movement that will allow her to become a great herdng dog as well as a show
dog.
   Both
 girls are more than ready to move up into the big fields with a lot of sheep,
Their just isn;t enough sheep in the arena for them to use all that drive and
exhuberance.

So, in spite of the yucky weather, tending was very successful here in New
England.  We   spent time with great friends and got to work great dogs doing
what they were bred to do!  It doesn't get much better than that!

Now it will take at least a week to dry out!
Susan

Susan w. Sullivan
Firethorn Farm
German Shepherd Dogs