[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Herding and sheep

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 22:00:23 -0700 (PDT)

Graze a while, walk a bit, test the dog a bit - pretty much the life of a
c-course sheep.
Ruth

________________________________
From:  _Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxxx  (mailto:Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx)  To:
_Stormy435@xxxxxxxx  (mailto:Stormy435@xxxxxxx)  ;
_showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent: Thursday, September 24,  2009 5:29
AM
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Herding with  Dogs stresses  sheep???

Oh they stress the sheep BIG time.  Compared to  many,  I've had very
limited experience training and trial-ing,  but even  w/ limited
experience,
I've
seen <2> broken  legs on sheep  (green, that have hit an enclosure, not
being
chased by a GSD  although it could have been), and many, many, MANY  bloody

sheep  from dogs who just want a little taste!   From what I can tell,
ducks
have it even worse as far as  mortality  rates.

(I think the worst offenders I've seen have been  the  Malinois ~ they  run
by a sheep so fast you don't think  anything  happened until you see the
red

line under the sheep's  belly...get  out the needle and thread!!!!  Or  the

Australian Cattle dogs  who want to grab a sheep's muzzle...do sheep  have

muzzle or is  it just called a nose?...which can lead to  sinus
injury/painful
damage and infection for the  sheep.)