[ SHOWGSD-L ] Herding Testing

  • From: <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSDCA Showlist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 09:10:06 -0700

Herding instinct tests are always so interesting to watch. I love the
herding sport. So I wanted to test my two GSDs in herding. I brought my boy,
Koda into the herding ring first with his tester. The sheep started to move.
It was simply amazing for Koda seeing these critters for the very first time
knowing exactly what to do with the small herd. It gave me goose bumps to
watch something so natural come out of my shepherd. I was proud. Now, it was
my girl Stunner's turn. I enter her in the ring with the tester. The sheep
are some distance away standing quietly close with their protector. I
released Stunner & left the ring. Stunner with seemly much interest slowly
approached the sheep. When she reached them, the sheep moved & she ran for
her life back to the gate. I was SO embarrassed. The tester tried everything
to get Stunner to be interested. The tester even brought in her herding
Border collie to stimulate Stunner but nothing helped. Stunner is at the
gate once again begging to get out. The sheep were monsters to her. The
tester told me that there was an Aussie that acted just like Stunner in the
very beginning. The owner was going to give up until the 9th try the Aussie
finally GOT it. And went on to retrieve his herding titles. So there's
always hope in everything. Kathy Partch www.JoKaySedona.com

---