[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Help? Old Dog Vestibular Syndrome ?

  • From: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:19:27 EDT

Hi Debbie ---- Yes!  My soon to be 13 year old gal had an attack about 6
months ago. It happened in  the middle of the night and as I waited for my vet
open, I was sure I was going to have to put her down.  She could barely walk,
listing to one side and falling over and her eyes for whirling in the eye
sockets and a severe head tilt.   I thought she had a stroke.

As soon as my vet saw her she diagnosed it as Old Dog Vestibular Disease and
was 90% sure if was not a stroke.  I left her at the vet and they treated her
with high doses Benadryl for the nausea and the dizziness and some pred -
although she felt the pred really wouldn't do much.  The Benadryl pretty much
sedated her so she slept most of the time. She didn't eat or drink much for the
first few days and then I she would eat/drink for me.   The first few days they
had to hydrate her.  I would visit her twice a day and brought her "special"
treats like chicken, steak,  meatballs, etc. which I had to feed her by hand.

After about 3 days they started to taper her off the Benadryl as they wanted
to see if that was making her too unsteady to walk.  I believe I took her in
on a Monday or Tuesday and brought her home on  Sat.  Her eye movement was back
to normal after about 3-4 days....it was very gradual.   I still had to use a
sling on her to walk with some steadiness but after about 2 days she could do
it on her own although very unsteady. I think part of her unsteadiness was
complicated by the fact that she has DM and was not completely steady walking
begin with.

Today, the I would say she is almost back to where she was before the attack
although the attack did seem to make her DM worse. But throughout it all, she
had a great attitude always wanted to get up and "run" with the other dogs and
still telling everyone off. I think her attitude was a big part of her
recovery. That and the fact that I have a great vet and two great vet techs
that
fell in love with her and gave her special attention.  My  vet said, they could
really see a change in her attitude every time I came to visit her and that was
twice a day for 1-2 hours. It was a long process but she made it through.

I posted to list asking for info when this happened and got lots of good
support
so you could contact her. Seems it is not that uncommon. Feel free to contact
me if you want more info.

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com