[ SHOWGSD-L ] Has anyone had this problem?

  • From: Robert Utter <utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:40:56 -0500

Thursday when i got up, Lady's right ear tip was folded down.   The
night before I had washed out her right ear thoroughly as she was
shaking her head and it did appear to have dirt in it. She shook here
head pretty hard then.
Thursday afternoon, it was the same though it actually was more than
just the tip but rather the top 1/3.   I examined it more closely and
found it was "spongy" like it was fluid filled between the tissues.
Of course, we went to the Vet.

It turned out that she had a hematoma caused by shaking her head so
hard that a capillary broke and filled the ear tissues with blood.   As
it was caught rather early, the Vet deadened that part of the ear and
stuck in a needle and let out all the blood that had gathered there.
Then he put in steroid right into that part.  Also, now she is on
steroids for 2 weeks.

You might ask, why not just let it dissolve like any blood blister?
However, in such a case, the "surrounding ear tissues will die due to
lack of blood supply and result in a knurled, cauliflower-shaped ear.
Additionally, this condition may produce intense pain and should be
corrected as soon as possible."  (from Vet article)
If the swelling is just drained without any further treatment, the
hemotoma may come back.   In some cases, a minor surgical procedure may
be necessary especially if left untreated for some time.  " It may
involve incising and draining The hemotoma, removing blood clots and
suturing or bandaging he ear to help prevent future recurrence." (Vet
article)
  This most often is seen in dogs with drop ears but can occur in our
dogs.   In Lady's case, she did not have an ear infection but
generally, this is most often the case.
I had never heard of this before and perhaps many of you have, but I
thought I would just bring it to your attention in case this should
ever happen to your dog and you were unfamiliar with this.
Lady's ear is still "tipped" somewhat and I hope it will come back up.
I need to watch closely to see if the hematoma does return.   I hope
not as I would hate to have to have a surgical procedure done on a 13
year old dog.
Anne, TN