[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Handler bonus

  • From: "M. Mike Lynch" <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:22:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Doris,

  Well I expect you'd probably think I would be "pro bonus" etc.since I am an
all breed handler. But thats not the case.. in fact, I quit "charging" bonuses
as I had an eye opening experience.

  I had a very good standard schnauzer and a client that was a teacher (she's
now deceased). I started specialing her dog and it was a group placement here
and a group place ment there... then one weekend we had a GREAT weekend.. wona
specialty and took 3 group I's WOW was I on a roll!  Thinking nothing of it,
charged her the bonuses for Group I and specialty best of breeds and went on my
way. She called when she got her billing that month and said that she
appreciated all the work I done but she could no longer afford to have good
month. She then said that she knows it was hard work and dedication, but that
was an additional 700$ out of the pot and that she had some bonuses in mind for
me.

  Well I thought long and hard about it. I also went to a nice BarBeQue
resturaunt to celebrate the good weekend with 4 of my friends..(. it was one of
those "If you have parties of 5 and over... you will  be charged 20%
gratuity"). Usually, I dont care, but my server was TERRIBLE, didnt care if we
had silverware, didnt check back, my food was served cold, and so on.. and at
the end.. he EXPECTED the 20% of the large bill.. HECK NO!!!  (thats when it
hit me about the bonuses are extra, above and beyond).

  SO now, regardless if the client is a teacher or 3rd generation old money, I
dont expect a bonus when I win a group or best in show.  Also my horse trainers
never charged a bonus for a championship or going first in a new class.. I gave
them though because they did a super job! It was time for me to practice what i
preached.. !

  Mike

www.BlackHawk-Farms.com
Northern California American Saddlebred Horse Association
Vice President (Class of 2007)