[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: HSUS and Katrina LONG

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 02:10:10 EDT

***permission to forward***
I've been trying to track down the now  infamous report on HSUS and the
Hattiesburg shelter.  I dead-ended at the  Petfinders forum.  Without some kind
of
attribution, the story is  interesting, but not much use in exposing HSUS
wrongdoing.  However, I did  come to some **personal** conclusions after
reading a
whole bunch of reports in  various places from various people who have been
"down there."

--  The animals are probably being as well cared for as is possible under the
 circumstances.  It is hot and crowded, there are sick and old animals, and
the workforce is volunteer and changes daily.  Most of us have experience  in
volunteer organizations and quality control is very, very difficult.   (What
are you gonna do?  Fire 'em?)  It's understandble that some of  the animals
die.  They are in terrible shape when they come in.  Some  had been swimming
literally for days (they call them "swimmers" when they bring  them in) and
yes,
many have diarrhea and are vomiting.  When you have  *hundreds* with diarrhea
and vomiting, it's hard to get too excited about one in  particular.  This is a
high burnout operation.

--  When you  have 1000 animals to care for, you have to set up a routine
that works best for  most of them.  You can't have every volunteer making
decisions about what  would work best for his or her charges.  With that many
animals, that's  going to mean too much crate time for everyone.  There's just
no way
around  it.  Example: Feeding animals before letting them out isn't the way
we do  it at home, but when you only have time for one walk per animal, that's
the most  efficient way and the way least likely tor result in a dog sitting
in feces and  urine for the rest of the day.

-- There are indeed rules.  Most of  those rules are probably reasonable and
the best anyone could do under the  circumstances.  Many of these animals have
homes.  No matter how  attached a volunteer gets to an animal or how pathetic
the animal is, that is  SOMEONE'S PERSONAL PROPERTY.  And no matter how good
the application, you  can't just let rescuers walk out with dogs.

-- Some of the policies that  seem cold are really the only reasonable way to
manage this situation.   Yes, dogs will pee and poop on and chew up bedding.
(Some will even get  intestinal blockages from swallowing chunks of it.  How
do you know who  that will be unless you observe all day -- not possible.)
Though we'd love to  think of these dogs as snuggling happily into the $100
beds
we shipped down  there, those things are simply not practical in the hard
reality of a 1000-dog  makeshift shelter.

-- Rescuers who write these reports are of varying  maturity and *none* have
ever worked in a situation this serious.  Their  reactions are liable to be
emotional and often not very rational.  Mine  would probably be the same. My
heart goes out to them, but this is an emergency  situation and unfortunately
management has to consider the whole population  rather than individual cases.
It hurts.  Bad.

-- The  situation is very sad, the animals are not getting the care we would
all like to  see them get, but when you're managing a large operation like
that, decisions  have to be made for the good of the majority, even if
different
decisions would  be better for a minority.

Okay, all that said, here's the flip  side.  Again, **personal** conclusions
based on reading a lot of reports,  both pro and anti-HSUS on a variety of
sites.

-- "You won't see any  feces- or urine-stained HSUS teeshirts."  Guess who's
*not* getting  dirty?  Most reports I read concluded that there were too many
chiefs and  not nearly enough Indians.  And the chiefs all wore those
teeshirts. See  the pretty girl holding the pretty, clean Beagle at
http://www.hsus.org/ ?   Think the real "street volunteers" look like that?

-- The volunteers are  treated shabbily.  Members of the HSUS Clipboard
Brigade have a very  elitist attitude and are not polite or appreciative of the
folks coming down  there on their own.  No one thanks them or acknowledges what
they are  sacrificing to be there. HSUS shows very little regard for the
*people* doing  the work.  No surprise there.  I saw very, very few reports
that
said  rescuers were made to feel welcome or given positive feedback.  At  all.

-- HSUS is putting major effort into to getting *all* the  credit.  To the
extent of removing magnetic signs from vans identifying  them as from other
rescues.  Control and credit are much, much more  important to HSUS than the
actual saving of animals. NO credit is given to  anyone other than HSUS.  Not
even
to their buddies in the other AR  organizations.  Read the press releases.

-- Ideas, requests,  questions from anyone "outside" are not only ignored,
but are repeatedly  described as being received with "sneers,"  "rolled eyes,"
and  "smirks."

-- Since they are not actually working with animals and are  putting all
their energy into organization, you'd think they'd be organized,  right?  Nope.

Apparently they announced that they were the "go-to"  people for the whole
animal aspect of the hurricane disaster and then decided to  figure out how to
manage it.  Could anyone else have done better?  I  don't know, but with the
money they have collected, *they* could have done  better.  Even now
disorganization is the name of the game.  "Rules  change every hour," according
to one
returned volunteer, and you can't get the  same answer from two people.  After
three weeks, you'd think policies would  be in place.

-- Interesting bit:  The HSUS leaders only go by first  name.

-- Wonder what will happen to all the food and supplies they are  *not* using
for the animals?  Apparently there is a whole, whole lot.

-- In spite of the fact that according to *every* volunteer (even the
pro-HSUS ones) there is a major shortage of workers, people calling HSUS to
volunteer to come down and help report that they are being told to just send
money.

It will be interesting to see what impact this experience has on  HSUS in the
long run.  They've lost many, many supporters in the rescue  community --
people who sent them money are demanding refunds (good luck!) and  there are
more
and more negative reports about the situation. I just hope the  information
gets out to the public, the millions of animal lovers who write the  checks.

One thing I did find depressing was a Google for "Katrina forum  HSUS."
There are *hundreds* of forums all over the internet with innocent  people
talking
about how much good the HSUS is doing and how they've sent money  and blah
blah blah.  Apparently word is NOT out to the general public  yet.

One useful thing to do might be to choose a couple of those  boards and join
-- post the following link and ask people to check it out.   You might open
some eyes.
http://www.ericsdogblog.com/
Eric Rice (contact  information, even a phone number provided at the above
site) is *not* an  anti-AR, just a regular guy who went down to help.  His
experience with  HSUS is hardhitting and, as far as I can tell, an objective,
honest appraisal of  how they look from a hardworking guerrilla on the ground.
You
can send him  money, by the way.  Not tax deductible as far as I can tell, but
the blog  rings true to me.  I think he's probably actually using the
donations to  save animals.  (He asked HSUS to furnish him with some spotlights
so
his  little crew could keep working after dark -- no go.  He bought some
himself.  That sort of thing.)

Finally, and the most important thing  I found out --  The thousands of
people who called the much publicized HSUS  800 number to report trapped pets
probably believed that the list went to  rescuers who would try to get to those
animals. It did not. THE LIST OF  LOCATIONS OF ANIMALS NEEDING RESCUE SAT AT
HSUS
UNTIL TWO DAYS AGO.   Apparently someone did start getting it into a data
processing and put into  mapping programs.  (I couldn't find out whether that
was
someone at HSUS or  someone who finally talked them into turning over the
list) There were people  available to get to these places and get these pets,
but
because they didn't  "work for HSUS," they were not given the information
they needed.  I hope  to see a very large class action lawsuit filed over this.

It is criminal  and to me, it says all there is to say about how HSUS is
handling this  crisis.

--
Sharyn

Ginger  Cleary, Rome, GA
"Those who desire to give up freedom in  order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one."  Benjamin Franklin.
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)