[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: HELP! Weak puppy-runt?

  • From: Deanne Jur <djur@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:59:45 -0500

=20
In a message dated 3/19/2007 1:41:08 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, =20
vonadlerhof@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I wrote  yesterday about the pup with the legs folded under him.  He got =

weaker  overnight.  Didn't want to nurse and didn't look good.  I stayed =
up
with=20
him all night.  Gave him some PowerAde(electrolytes, all I had at 4
a.m.)-he=20
perked a little.  Went to the vet at 9 a.m.  Doc said to  give sugar =
water
w/=20
a few drops of whiskey in syringe.  He likes it, and  he'll take it and =
a=20
little Esbilac slowly.  He's being hand fed every 2-3  hrs, and on his =
own
heating=20
pad in a box with me at all times.  Doc  thinks he was just stunted
in-utero,=20
not developing as much as the rest of the  litter.  Physiologically
immature,=20
not by his age.  ANYONE HAVE ANY  IDEAS?? I don't know if he'll make it, =
and

we don't know if he'll have any  problems--but I'm trying!! =
SUGGESTIONS??? I

haven't slept since they were born  (cat naps)-He is 5 days old. THANK
YOU!!!!!
Bonnie

Hi I would give him pedialyte 10 cc every 2 hours by syringe or  by tube =

feeding round the clock.. I would make sure he can get away from the
heating pad.=20
I would not give whiskey (I have NEVER heard of this...) I would  give =
him=20
nutri- cal on his tongue 3 times a day. Do not give milk. If he were  =
mine I

would probably give him sub q fluids (lactated ringers) , most pups that
are=20
failing die from dehydration. I would put him near his mom if possible
between=20
feedings. She will stimulate his circulatory system. I would give a few
drops=20
of raw liver blood in a syringe with the pedialyte once or twice a day.  =
Syd

(who is more expert than your vet at this.)
=20
=20
SYD  MAILBERG
_WWW.KINGSWOODGERMANSHEPHERDS.HOMESTEAD.COM_=20
(http://www.kingswoodgermanshepherds.homestead.com/)=20
ANIMAL  PORTRAITURE

I completely agree with Syd! Great Advice!!!
- Nutri Cal
- Sub Q Fluids
- Pedialyte
- Let Mom have access
* I have not had any personal experience with the liver blood but sounds
good to me...

Syd - you should have been a vet :)

Deanne Jur