[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [Germanshepherds4Show] Does a hero live among you?

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <TheGSDShowcase@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Germanshepherds4show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Barbara Galasso" <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 11:22:00 -0500

Oh, Barbara, I didn't know you'd pull this thread so quickly.  I have TWO HERO
STORIES.
One, in my humble opinion, is a truly awesome one because of two things --- the
dog involved
was less than a year of age and the person whose life he saved had only met him
that day!!
I boarded a horse for a man for a month while he was hospitalized, a widower
who lived next
to his daughter but she couldn't care for the horse that long.  When he got out
of the hospital &
called me to return his horse, he said he wanted to buy one of my GSDs. He
asked to please
let him know when I had a litter available.    He bought a male - related to
the great GV BANKER!
He had no fence in his front yard, but taught that pup to stay within a certain
area.  I have done this
and have seen it work with other folks.  OK - his daughter had a bunch of
visitors one Sunday or
Saturday, not sure which.  There was a Toddler girl among the visitors.  When
the man visited them
for the food - the dog was with him, of course.    He returned home and, as
usual, the dog stayed on
the carport relaxing.     About an hour or so later, someone knocked on his
door.  A man stood there
holding the hand of that Toddler.  He said he was sorry about the little girl's
dog, but he had no choice!
As he was driving down the road, he saw this dog and girl, the dog was, going
around her, as they
both were at the edge of the road - it was obvious the dog was trying to get
her off the road -- He did
push her and the man hit and killed the dog.  The girl had gone down, but had
rolled out of the way and
was fine.     NOW THAT IS HEROISM!     The other was another dog a family got
from me who, as
the Mom told me, she was in the yard doing yard work with her 4 year old son
and the GSD.  She was
not paying much attention to them as this was a routine --   Suddenly, she
heard the dog barking like he
wasn't nearby-- she couldn't see him or her son.  The side gate was OPEN and
almost to the road, she
saw them and the dog was doing the same as what I was told by this man about
his.  Going around the
child to try to push and/or herd him back toward the house.  SPLENDID ---
Norma no L