[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDCA....and my response

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:44:50 EST

In a message dated 2/4/07 11:32:19 AM Central Standard Time,
cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> "There shall be one type of membership (except for present Life Memberships
> which the Club shall continue to honor) in an unlimited number. To be
> eligible, a person must be eighteen (18) years of age or older, in good
> standing with the American Kennel Club, and shall subscribe to the objects
> of the Club."
>
> Period... that is it.
>
> The "objects" of the Club are as follows:
>

> (a) To encourage, promote, and improve the breeding of quality purebred
> German Shepherd Dogs, to educate the fancy, and to do all possible to bring
> the natural qualities of the German Shepherd Dog to perfection
>
> (b) To urge members and breeders to accept that standard of the breed, as
> approved by the American Kennel Club, as the only standard of excellence by
> which the German Shepherd Dog shall be judged
>
> (c) To do all in its power to protect and advance the interests of the breed
> by encouraging sportsmanlike competition at dog shows, obedience trials, and
> tracking tests

perhaps it's the linguist side of me that is going to reduce a big problem to
something simple but if being a member entails subscribing to the "objects"
of the club, then let's look at "object C".  if that were split into 2 spearate
entries, the first would read "to do all in its power to protect and advance
the interests of the breed."  let that stand alone.  let the rest of the
current object C stand as an object in and of itself. i doubt anyone could
argue
that a miller or one who procures animals from a mill or millers to be sold at
pet shops is protecting OR advancing the interests of the breed.
give that some thought.  that little period changes the entire meaning of the
object without changing the wording.
diane
Diane Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
"In dog years I'm dead." - Author unknown