[ SHOWGSD-L ] GSD in Richmond, VA Shelter

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:22:51 -0500

A friend sent me the email below and asked if I could post it to the List.  I
wish I could help this dog, but I don't have the room.  I've posted the dog's
photos on my Flickr photo page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wellborn-allemande_shepherds/

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam

Dear GSD listers:

Miguel and I met 6 year old Zeus today at the Henrico County Animal Shelter
in Richmond VA.  He was relinquished by his owners a couple of weeks ago and
would have been euthanized in a few days if we had not intervened.  Because
there were concerns about why he had been relinquished, Miguel, a certified
dog behaviorist/trainer, carefully evaluated his temperament and determined
that Zeus appears to be a sound dog with fairly high prey drive who should
be adopted by a family with no young children, & experience with either GSDs
or breeds of a similar temperment.

Zeus is a black and tan GSD who is intact.  He looks to be out of American
bloodlines. He is a little underweight, and did not look like he had been
groomed in a long time.  Based on his appearance, he looked like he had been
neglected by his owners.  As his pictures show, he has a sweet face and does
not like being at the shelter.  Who would?

We want to help Zeus but can not take him ourselves because we do not have
the facilities.  So we are putting his story out on the List to see if
either a rescue organization or forever home can take him in.  Because this
dog deserves a chance, and we can not take him ourselves, we are willing to
help with his vet, food and other expenses for up to 30 days.  He can only
stay at the shelter he is at for a very limited period of time.

Please contact Miguel at (804) 779-7555 or at infocusbymiguel@xxxxxxx if you
might be able to provide Zeus with either a temporary or forever home, or
know someone who can.

Thank you,

Rebecca McCracken and  Miguel Betancourt