[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: [TX_RPOA_E-News] Attacks on TX Rep. Simpson for Opposing Animal Rights L...

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 19:23:14 EDT

Trillia  German Shepherds since 1972
Member GSDCA, GSDCC, GSDC of Beaumont, lifetime  member CKC
"Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light"

____________________________________
Published:  9:54 p.m. Sunday, April 24, 2011

It's not that Rep. David Simpson hates  puppies.

But when the conservative Republican from Longview fought  against the
so-called puppy mill bill last week, he cemented his reputation  as a
renegade, an ideologue and someone who would not shy away from  getting
sideways with the Texas House's most senior members, Democrat  and
Republican.

"I guess I don't know what a freshman's supposed to  do," Simpson, 49, said
in an interview last week from behind a desk where a  large bronze eagle
perches. "The people didn't send me here to sit down and  shut up."

In fighting the puppy mill bill, Simpson squared off against  the majority
of
the House, not just the bill's author, Rep. Senfronia  Thompson, D-Houston,
one of the chamber's longest-serving  members.

The bill to protect animals in large breeding operations was  on the
fast-track local and consent calendar, the home for bills that have  broad
support and no fiscal implications.

Simpson ultimately  achieved his goal of knocking the bill off the consent
calendar, saying it  would use state funds for employees. But it was a
lonely
fight, and he drew  a lot of criticism.

Simpson was "trying to be a genius when he's not  one," Thompson said. "I
feel sorry for his kids. When they start reading  history, this is going to
be an embarrassment."

A Republican, Jim  Keffer of Eastland, piled on, telling the House chamber
that Simpson's move  impugned Thompson and the legislative process.

Taking on Thompson not  only has left Simpson alienated - which he said is
OK
with him - but it  also has brought harsh rebuke, he said.

"I was threatened by one  particular person that my bills would not get out
of committee," he  said.

He refused to say who threatened him.

Earlier  controversy

Challenging the puppy bill isn't the only example of  Simpson's startling
actions.

It started at the beginning of the  session, when he opposed the re-election
of House Speaker Joe Straus, R-San  Antonio. A clip of Simpson praying for a
"godly and humble leader of the  Texas House" ended up on the national faux
news program "The Daily  Show."

Simpson befuddled observers across the Capitol again when he  opposed the
Republicans' budget bill, House Bill 1.

He was one of  two Republicans to vote no on the measure.

He opposed the bill largely  over what he called corporate welfare.

"HB 1 did not cut the most  obvious nonessential programs," such as business
subsidies and incentives,  he said. Our government "was instituted to
promote
the general welfare  instead of handing out favors to particular industries
in a few  concentrated areas," he wrote on his website.

Recently, Simpson spoke  against a bill pushed by a fellow conservative ,
Rep. Leo Berman,  R-Tyler.

Berman had wide support for a bill to help curb crystal meth  cooking
operations by modernizing the way pharmacists collect names of  people
buying
pseudoephedrine, an ingredient in meth  production.

Simpson said it was too much of an encroachment on personal  information.

Berman was nice when he spoke of Simpson's  dissent.

"He misses the boat on some occasions," Berman said. "He's a  freshman, and
he's learning."

Creating his own role

Most  members of the Legislature will tell you that getting along is a big
part  of being an effective politician in the Texas House.

But Simpson sees  things a bit differently. He seems to believe that he
should stick to his  principles instead of making friends.

Back in his district, some people  support his work.

Keith Rothra, the Republican Party chairman in Gregg  County, said Simpson
tends more toward libertarianism than conservatism,  and he campaigned on
the
promise of working toward small government and  conservative ideals. And
he's
lived up to his pledges.

"You can't  knock a guy for doing what he promised," Rothra said.

But many more  people from the district, some of whom hold important elected
positions,  said they are worried that Simpson's behavior is bad for  the
district.

Longview Mayor Jay Dean, a Republican, said he is  concerned that the clash
with longer-serving lawmakers could make it  difficult to pass other
district-friendly bills .

"You have to pick  and choose your battles to get things done in the
Legislature," he  said.

Most of Simpson's bills don't deal with issues specific to his  district.
They have more to do with broader ideals.

He has filed a  measure to allow guns on college campuses, he was joint
author on a bill  for raw milk, and he filed another that deals with
abortion.

He also  has authored a bill to curb what he sees as overreaching security
at
airports.

"The first passion I have is the first duty of  government, and that's to
protect life or allow for the protection of  life," he said. "Right now,
government is doing lots of things; it's  invading our privacy, and I'm very
much concerned about  that."

Rooted in faith

It doesn't take long when talking to  Simpson to realize the root of his
actions.

As a Reformed Baptist  and graduate of the Trinity Ministerial Academy of
Montville, N.J., Simpson  said his actions are first meant to please his
Maker - to whom he refers  often.

With a slow, East Texas delivery of words and a heavy head that  often draws
his eyes to the ground, Simpson peppers conversations with  Bible verses,
and
he turns his palms upward sometimes when talking about  God.

Rep. Jason Isaac, R-Dripping Springs, who sits next to Simpson on  the House
floor, noted that Simpson often says lawmakers were sent to  Austin to
"punish wrongdoers" - an idea Simpson says is straight from the  Bible.

Simpson said that "we punish those who harm other people, and  then we get
out of the way" of those who don't.

Those religious  beliefs have been central to some of the Capitol chatter
surrounding  Simpson.

Earlier in the session, Simpson managed to get members talking  about two
incidents in which he was said to have laid hands on a couple  of
unsuspecting members to heal what ailed them: a bad heart and a  throbbing
head.

None of the members would comment on the record when  asked about it, and
Simpson dodged repeated attempts to explain the events,  saying little more
than "I am not a charismatic."

Life back  home

The other central part of Simpson's life is his large immediate  family.

He has a wife and seven children - ages 7, 11, 17, 18, 20, 22  and 24. His
kids have all been home-schooled or attended private schools,  he said.

A wealthy man originally from the tony Highland Park area in  Dallas,
Simpson
provides for his family by running a timber company on  family land in the
small East Texas town of Avinger, where he once served  as mayor.

He runs a religious publishing house on the side. The  publications he sells
include a book about the biblical teachings on  capital punishment and a
survey of the history of Reformed Baptists in the  U.S.

When he's not in the Legislature or running his businesses,  Simpson said he
enjoys a simple life that revolves largely around his  family. And for
excitement, he sometimes mixes in all-terrain vehicles and  target practice.

Simpson said he has been trying to make it a family  tradition to attend
classes on shooting and pistol training in  Nevada.

It's one thing to be trained on how to enter a house with  possible threats
inside under the strict tutelage of tactical  instructors.

It's another to be able to maneuver in the hostile  environment within the
Texas House of Representatives - and be able to stay  for a while.

Because of his quickly earned reputation, Simpson is  already being talked
about by some people, such as the puppy mill bill's  author, as someone who
is so polarizing that he might not return next  session.

"I just don't think people will be sending him back," Thompson  said.

But Simpson said he can only do what he thinks is right, and the  electorate
will like it or not.

"If they are pleased, they'll  re-elect me," he said. "If not, I'll go back
to planting and cultivating  pine timber full  time."
Subscribe  to this announcement only email list to stay informed regarding
all Texas  animal issues by emailing:
_TX_RPOA_E-News-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:TX_RPOA_E-News-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
and  hit "Send."
Donate with PayPal or mail in:
www.rpoatexasoutreach.org

__._,_.___

_Reply  to sender_
(mailto:rpoa@xxxxxxxxx?subject=Re:%20Attacks%20on%20TX%20Rep.%20Simpson%20for%20Opposing%20Animal%20Rights%20Legislation!%20)

_Reply  to group_
(mailto:TX_RPOA_E-News@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Re:%20Attacks%20on%20TX%20Rep.%20Simpson%20for%20Opposing%20Animal%20Rights%20Legislation!%
20)  | _Reply  via web post_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TX_RPOA_E-News/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwMzRwNmtkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNzg1NzEwBGdycHNwSWQDMTc
wNTA0MjQxMQRtc2dJZAMzNDcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzAzNzUyNzU0?act=re
ply&messageNum47)  | _Start  a New Topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TX_RPOA_E-News/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmYXN1NWRlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNzg1NzEw
BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjQxMQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMDM3NTI3NTQ-)
_Messages  in this topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TX_RPOA_E-News/message/347;_ylc=X3oDMTMzNDhnZXFjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNzg1NzEwBGdycHNwSWQ
DMTcwNTA0MjQxMQRtc2dJZAMzNDcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzAzNzUyNzU0BHR
wY0lkAzM0Nw--)  (1)
Recent Activity:
    *   _New  Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TX_RPOA_E-News/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnbG5vdmd1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNzg1NzEwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNT
A0MjQxMQRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMzAzNzUyNzUz?o=6)  17
_Visit  Your Group_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TX_RPOA_E-News;_ylc=X3oDMTJmanV0dXByBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEzNzg1NzEwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA0MjQxMQRzZ
WMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzMDM3NTI3NTM-)

RPOA Texas Outreach (501 C4  Nonprofit)
www.rpoatexasoutreach.org
Responsible Pet Owners Alliance  (501 C3 Nonprofit)
www.responsiblepetowners.org
900 NE Loop 410  #311-D
San Antonio, TX 78209
$15 Annual Dues (Jan-Dec)