[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: Right to own and use animals

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 01:32:50 -0500

-----Original Message-----
  Permission granted to copy and use for any pro-animal-use purpose. Use in
whole or in part for animal rights or anti-animal purposes specificially
prohibited!
Copyright 2000 Rabbit Industry Council

RIGHT TO OWN AND USE ANIMALS

We, the undersigned citizens of the United States of America, hereby assert
our constitutional and individual rights in the following matters:

I. Animal Ownership
We assert that every citizen of the United States has the right to own
animals as property, provided that said animals are treated appropriately
with respect to their requirements and welfare.

We acknowledge that humans have the responsibility to ensure that the
animals we own are bred, raised, kept, and used in a humane and reasonable
manner in accordance with their purpose and needs.

We also assert that legislation, on any level - city, county, state, or
national - should be deemed invalid which restricts our right to own animals
of any kind or number in circumstances which are suited to their welfare and
well-being as determined by the resultant health and well-being of the
animals.

This said, we also believe that no animal should be kept in such a manner as
to pose a clear hazard to human health, safety, or well-being.

Agriculture has always been an integral part of America and its freedoms;
animals play a tremendous part in not only our past, but our future.
Allowing progressively restrictive legislation to be passed on any level
denies that animals have a place in our society whatsoever. It is
well-documented that much of such legislation is originated by, and
popularized by, animal rights groups.

It is also known that many of the animal rights and 'humane' groups in the
US utilize intimidating, misleading, terroristic and/or discriminatory
tactics against business and individuals alike to achieve progress toward
their present goals of so-called 'welfare' and future goal of no animal
ownership or use whatsoever in our society.

The unsolicited indoctrination of minors via animal rights propaganda, which
is often nightmarishly graphic, in public and private schools is an invasion
of the right of the parent to ensure the child a reasonable, constructive
education, and should not be allowed.

We, the animal owners of the United States of America, object to such unjust
manipulation of the legal systems of the United States, and petition the
governmental bodies and members thereof to assist their constituents in
achieving a fair and just solution.

II. Animal Use

In regard to the uses to which animals and their products are put, we wish
to make clear that one of the main goals in the purposeful breeding of
domestic or wild animals is the production or improvement of food, fur, or
fibre for human or animal use. Others are that of conservation, exhibition,
entertainment, recreation, and companionship.

There are exceptions to the former in few species in the United States,
notably the domestic dog and cat, considered strictly companion animals and
not an alternative food source. The shed hair fibres of some breeds,
however, may be spun into fine quality yarns for use in garments without any
harm to the animals.

The breeding and sale of such animals should be subject to the welfare
provisions above, most of which are already in place; ie, reasonable and
humane care, feeding, and shelter. The spaying and neutering of companion
species should be encouraged.

We assert that there is no crime in owning, breeding, raising or
slaughtering animals for food, fibre, or fur for human use; that a greater
crime is wasting such products of animals we raise for such purposes. We
also assert that the slaughter of food animals on the premises for home use
is not unreasonable and should not be legislated against.

We also feel strongly that sufficient safeguards for the purpose-bred
companion animal, and the exhibited animal in circuses, aquariums, and zoos,
are in place at this time.

Acknowledged as well is the concept that the producers and processors of
animals raised for their flesh, fur, or fibre are responsible for the quick,
painless and humane death of the animal for slaughter or fur; the humane and
reasonable restraint of the animal raised for its harvest of fibre during
shearing or plucking; and the humane handling and euthanasia of
non-ambulatory animals or those which are too ill to fulfill their
designated purpose.

Equines, being considered largely as companion animals, should be none the
less subject to slaughter at the end of their useful lives, should that be
the choice of the owner. To prevent this solution is to doom many animals to
neglect and lingering death, which we as responsible owners cannot support.

III. Responsible Ownership

We appreciate the fact that ownership carries responsibilities with it in
regard to the welfare of animals; to this end we encourage responsible
ownership-the practice of providing care, food, water, and shelter in
accordance with the animals' needs and requirements; of encouraging
spay/neuter in companion animals which are not being bred for a
specific purpose; of encouraging responsible ownership in others.

Responsible ownership also entails attention to the preservation of the
rights of animal ownership and use; to this end, we request that limitations
be placed on the amount of lobbying done by anti-animal use/pro-animal
rights groups to achieve a reasonable balance of data provided to
legislators by both pro- and anti-animal use groups.

In addition, city, county, state and federal agencies need to make available
their policies in regard to animal ownership and use in a
clearly-understandable, easily accessed format rather than requiring the
animal owner to delve in every conceivable area of legislation to find
information applicable to their occupation or interest.

IV. Responsible Lawmaking

We, the undersigned, ask that you and your fellow lawmakers educate
yourselves upon the two very different topics of animal welfare and animal
rights; confusion between the two is the source of votes for many measures
local and widespread which restrict the rights of animal owners and users.

Please do not allow the emotionally manipulative techniques of animal rights
and 'humane' groups to cause you to lose sight of the rights of the many
responsible animal owners, breeders, raisers, and users.

Thank you for your time and attention in this matter.

Ginger Cleary - Rome, GA www.rihadin.com
"Prohibition.. makes a crime out of things that are not crimes..A
prohibition law strikes a blow at the
very principles upon which our government was founded." A. Lincoln (Dec.
1840)