[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: Las Vegas meeting tonight FORCED STERILIZATION Dog/Cats

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 20:35:41 EDT

egin forwarded message:

Fwd: Las Vegas meeting tonight
Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:24 pm (PDT)

Sent: 9/11/2008 11:21:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Las Vegas meeting tonight

Las Vegas Fanciers;

This came up very quickly. I've had conversations with Ken Sondej, Silver
State Kennel Club, who is at tonight's meeting. I'll be eager to hear what
happened. Please get ready to help fight this. If the Commission decides
tonight to recommend MSN to the County Supervisors the chances are they will
approve it unless there is a strong opposition. We have not been able to see
the
text of this proposed ordinance.

We sent a CFA letter opposing another County mandatory spay/neuter ordinance
proposal in April 2007. PIJAC members were able to help defeat it then along
with dog and cat fanciers.

An ordinance to manage feral cats with colony registration will also be
proposed tonight - correspondence with Alley Cat Allies indicates that they
have
been involved with this one for many months. Though not perfect evidently
they have been able to come up with an acceptable ordinance that is a lot
better than the current animal control policy of lending traps with the
requirement that the traps, and cats, are picked up by AC and taken to the
shelter to
be killed. We know that this kind of removal is not only cruel and treats
cats like vermin, but it allows the remaining cats to reproduce at a higher
rate
with more resources/food available. The "vacuum effect" also means new cats
will join the colony so nothing is accomplished. Let's hope the county's
attitude toward feral cats will improve and lead to some progress in
reducing
this population humanely.

Forwarding is OK.

Joan
********
Joan Miller
CFA Legislative Coordinator

Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog,