[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fwd: An Urgent Message Re AKC, WA meeting/Patti Strand

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 12:03:23 -0700

  Fwd: An Urgent Message Regarding AKC

  Meeting: Planning a constructive future for AKC and the sport of
purebred

  dogs.

  *Where: Emerald Downs Racetrack*
  *Washington** Thoroughbred Breeders Association*
  *3220 Emerald Downs Dr*
  *Auburn** WA 98001*
  *Just north of parking lot 5 at Emerald Downs Racetrack*

  *When: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:30 pm*

  *Speaker: Patti Strand, AKC Board Member followed by a group
discussion.*

  Fanciers in the Northwest have an opportunity to meet with AKC board
member

  Patti Strand. To quote AKC ?Today the American Kennel Club faces

  unprecedented financial challenges. ? This meeting will provide an

  opportunity to discuss positive and proactive suggestions. Please pass

  along this invitation to all interested parties. Please encourage
them to

  attend this very important meeting. Bring your questions and
suggestions.

  *Please plan to attend and contribute your ideas.*

  Questions?

  Please call or write to:

  Faye Strauss at 253-631-1442

  sherluckmm@xxxxxxx

  or

  Joan Zielinski at 253-631-1352

  joan@xxxxxxxxxx

  May 18, 2010

  Dear Constituents:

  Today the American Kennel Club faces unprecedented financial
challenges.

  These challenges not only impact us in the present, but also raise
critical

  questions about our future.

  There was a time when the American Kennel Club?s robust registration
revenue
  provided the opportunity for the sport to flourish and the ability
to do

  more for dogs grew unabated. However, the past few years have
witnessed a

  marked downward spiral in registrations, leaving the memories of
yesterday

  in the wake of the harsh realities of today. Therefore, it has been

  necessary to embark on a number of new initiatives in the quest for

  additional revenue. At the same time, there has been a constant
tightening

  of all expenses in ways that, thus far, have not impacted our
preeminent

  position in the world of dogs.

Our ability to maintain a reasonable operating budget has come from
  alternative revenue sources, as well as some previously enacted
revenue

  initiatives that have required exhibitors, clubs, and registered
handlers to

  accept increased or new fees. In addition, there have been
significant staff

  and expense reductions at AKC. When revenues fell below projections,
staff

  made the necessary cuts to avoid an operating loss. While purebred dog

  organizations in other countries face serious threats to their very

  existence, we have been able to maintain the high level of our
services to

  the sport, launch new programs, continue our important philanthropic

  contributions, and protect a financial reserve that helps ensure our
future.

  Yet the decline in revenue continues.

Our judges are crucial to our sport. They not only officiate at our
events;
  they are thought leaders, mentors, and breed experts who help bring
the next

  generation of the fancy to maturation. Now it is time for judges to
join the

  other constituencies of the AKC - clubs, breeders, exhibitors, and

  registered handlers ? to make a financial contribution to help
maintain the

  quality of the sport we all love so much.

  With this in mind, at its May 2010 meeting the AKC Board voted,
without an

  opposing vote, to enact a fee for conformation judges. The need for
that fee

  is undeniable. The feedback from the judging community on the
necessity for

  the fee has been very supportive. However, the feedback on the
methodology

  for application of the fee has met with universal disapproval. Healthy

  debate is critical to the viability of a strong and vibrant
organization.

  The Board values the opinions of the judging community and
appreciates the

  many constructive suggestions offered concerning the fee structure

  methodology. With the input of the judging community in mind, the
Board

  today has taken the following actions:

  *1.** The previously approved fee structure has been withdrawn by the

  Board and new fee structures will be considered. The concept of
judges? fees

  remains intact.*

  *2.** The Board has instructed AKC staff to revisit the alternatives

  discussed over the past year in addition to the other suggestions made

  recently by several judges to arrive at several equitable methods for

  consideration.*

  *3.** The Board has instructed AKC staff to meet again with

  representatives of judges organizations for input on these
methodologies

  before any final decision is made.*

  It is imperative that all of us come together to face our challenges
with

  the same passion, sportsmanship, and determination that is the
hallmark of

  the great competitive spirit of the fancy. When we have come
together in

  this manner in the past, we have accomplished great things. For the
good of

  the sport we all love so much, we must now move forward together.

  Ronald H. Menaker

  Chairman of the Board