[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fw: one generation and out (decliining entries..Part II)

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 19:24:52 -0400

second attempt....
Subject: Fw: one generation and out (decling entries..Part II)

  ENTICING NEWCOMERS or SHOOING THEM AWAY?

  A great majority of the showing populace has always had an attitude,
particularly when a new person would approach them at a show inquiring about
their breed or the dogs being shown. This anomaly existed way back when and it
still exists today.  Looking back, it's clear that this attitude that some
still carry with them, is a great part of the problems today.  We actually
shooed people away, thinking that our world would never come to an end and
there would be plenty more opportunities to advance our 'lines.'  The showing
fancy wasn't thinking about the future and judging by some still existing
attitudes, still aren't realizing the bleak future of our sport confronting us.
 We live in America and we can do what we want, can't we?  Dog shows will
always exist...won't they?  Worse yet, there are still those individuals that
just cannot seem to get along with their own club members and those within
their own breeds, insisting on making life difficult for others by continuing
to add fuel to whatever fire some disgruntled person started for no apparent
reason other than their own agenda.  Some would suggest that those reasons
include selfishness, jealousy and just plain hatred for anybody that might be
doing better in the sport than others or those really dangerous persons that
think that "they know it all" without having the experience of those before
them whom they should be learning from.  All of these factors are nothing more
than additions to the animal rights movement.  If you are one of these, you
might as well join forces with the opposition and stop hiding behind your
animals. If you believe that your actions against others will keep you safe, be
forewarned that you are not exempt from that knock on the door. Every person
within your club or breed that you destroy, demean or otherwise terrorize, adds
another nail to the coffin we are all facing.  What kind of message are you
sending to younger people or any other persons that might have an interest in
our sport when they discover that those who have been in the sport 'forever'
seem to be hell bent on destroying each other and that they are incapable of
working together or helping each other?  How in the world can you educate or
assist a NEW person interested in the sport or your breed when you can't seem
to find the time to stop fighting amongst your peers and become that helpful
educator?

  IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME - WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT

  I actually have grown fond of this ridiculous comment because it gives me the
opportunity to explain what it actually means and why those who use this lame
excuse are definitely closer to being one generation and out than those who
understand the circumstances.  Let me set the record straight using a few of
the popular "reasons" I have been given over the years.  Everything that goes
on in the animal world, especially legislatively, affects everybody.  Cropping
and docking.  You don't crop or dock, either by choice (while still available)
or because you don't have a breed that requires or prefers it.  That doesn't
mean that you should sit back ignoring that ban, law or ordinance and not
assist those breeds that DO, for rest assured, along with that cropping/docking
issue, another issue will follow that WILL affect you and your breed. By not
assisting, you are allowing for your own loss of freedom of choice.  Mandatory
spay/neuter laws.  You don't live there so it doesn't affect you, but if you
don't assist that area, it surely WILL affect you in short order for it will
continue to spread like a California wildfire if everybody continues to believe
that 'it doesn't affect me'.  Maybe not today, but what will tomorrow bring to
your neighborhood, state, city, town or county?  BSL, breed specific
legislation.  You don't have "one of those breeds".  Are you sure?  It wouldn't
take more than an animal hating neighbor, mailperson, meter reader, delivery
person or some unruly kid from up the street to report your five pound,
barking, snarling, fence running 'potentially dangerous dog'  even if the dog
wasn't lucky enough to get a bite in !  The next thing you know, officials are
at your house and you are subjected to defending yourself and trying to get
your dog out of protective custody all at great expense.  It IS important for
everybody to work together for make no mistake, it will come to you just like
it came to the other guy.  You remember him - the one that kept saying that it
didn't affect him?  So, those of you that use the old 'it doesn't affect me'
excuse, think about it before you say it or come up with something better.

  Of all the emails I receive, the most common is "What can I do about it?
It's just the way it is."  This is not true and you are only deceiving yourself
if you believe that.  You, we, are the only ones that CAN do something about
it. We are the ones that are losing our integrity, pride and reputations and
the irony is that it's being taken from us by those who don't have near the
'expertise' that we have.  What they do have is talent in "marketing, promoting
and fund raising".  It's up to all of us to become astute in these same areas,
reverse the current trend and take back what is ours.  Need a few common
suggestions?  Here, let me help you out ...Advertise for new club members,
start a kennel club/breed club blog, hold fun events for the public, stop by
that place that you are 'sure' is a puppy mill, visit that commercial kennel -
get to know them before you make any comments, offer tips and suggestions, help
them, listen to them, befriend them, educate them and be educated in return -
go over to Farmer Bob's, step over those cow paddies and talk to him, ask him
if he knows his right to farm or raise livestock is endangered, go to schools
and ask to speak to the children, make arrangements to take dogs with you, get
media attention by working with children -  sponsoring adoption days (purebred
or otherwise) or turning your club classes into a class to teach responsible
animal ownership and safety around dogs and invite parents as well as senior
citizens, get them to help with fundraising, stop by your town hall and ask for
the meeting agenda, check for any agenda subject animal related and attend the
meeting, talk to churches, hunters, any sportsmen, call a special kennel club
or breed club meeting of those members that are still active (before they hang
up their leads or take that dirt nap) and discuss ideas, research your towns
and participate in events offered, check with girl scouts, boy scouts, invite
them to your shows or public events, attend council meetings, introduce
yourself, (invite them to your events & shows,too), and get involved with
rescue work in your breed.  Pure breed rescue is one of the biggest problems
that we have - every time one shows up in some shelter, every breeder is
accused of putting it there - the fingers don't only point to the irresponsible
breeders.  We are all affected and the time has now come to be effective rather
than affected.

  USE THAT TOOL THAT'S ON YOUR SHOULDERS

  The AKC has many informative brochures, flyers and pamphlets that can be
placed in assorted locations and they have educational programs that can be
used in school systems.  They can provide you with CD's, DVD's, classroom
workbooks for teachers and a large assortment of other publications that can be
used for just about any venue, including legislators.  Take advantage of them.
Utilize the tools that are available to you, especially that one that sits on
your shoulders... and get creative.  We are losing everything that we've worked
so hard to achieve.  We're losing our 'expert' title, our rights, our freedom
of choice, our animals - and it just keeps coming with no end in sight, except
our demise.  There are many other organizations, pet law lists, and breed
legislation lists that are jam packed with good information that you can use.
All you need to do is ... DO IT - before it's too late to do, and my friends,
that time is quick approaching.  The plane is circling the airport for a
landing and we need more people standing on the runway....!

  THE CHALLENGE

  The dog fancy is generally not very laid back and those that I know will
fight to the bitter end about any subject  We've always had the spit 'n' fire
to strike back.  Where is that aggressiveness now?  For those that have told me
that they fear some sort of retaliation, know that the more visible you are,
the less likely you are to be targeted.  With that said, how many of you will
step up and start working toward reversing the travesty befalling us?  How many
of you will make an effort to stop using derogatory terms or take the time to
educate?  How many will prove that they are part of the dedicated fancy and
work together to make a difference?

  And, last, but not least, I don't want to forget about those in the sport
that I mentioned earlier who are still intent on being vicious towards their
comrades.  Those who can't seem to get past making their own breed and club
members miserable and those who can't stop complaining about or accusing their
peers of some heinous crime, hi volume breeders or commercial facilities.  You
have a "special gift" and it's time for you to put it to better use against
those who would see you dog-less, or just let us all know when you fall off the
fence into the AR pit so we can start working on a "potentially dangerous
animal owner" law.

  shared by Peggy (with permission)