[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fw: Dusty's condition

  • From: BAERENTATZE312@xxxxxxx
  • To: crystaridge@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 20:59:12 EST

Hi Sylvia,
Is this an internal vaginal infection or is it just the external vulva that
is involved?  The reason I ask is I had a puppy bitch who went to a very nice
home and they had her spayed young.  However, since her vulva did not have time
to develop to a mature size it was small and tucked up in the folds of skin
which kept it from getting a normal amount of air.  Consequently she constantly
got a swollen, inflamed vulva due to a condition similar to diaper rash
because of the small size of her vulva and it's lack being able to 'dry out'.
My
vet said you can treat it with medication every time it flares up or do
surgery.  The surgery entails a tush lift which in effect raises the folds of
skin
over the immature vulva.  Basically they cut an upside down happy face smile
between the vulva and the anus, do a tuck up and stitch, it's a very simple
procedure, and then allows air to get to the always moist vulva and the 'diaper
rash/infection' does not reoccur.  I hope that's the problem as it's an easy
fix
and the poor girl will get some relief.
Best of luck,
Pat Galambos