[ SHOWGSD-L ] Fw: CA AB1634 Opposition Strategy and Funding

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Gridley Tom" <t.m.Obrien@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Linda Battistoni" <LBattist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Frank & Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>, "Beryl Eshom" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Wilshargsd@xxxxxxxxx>, "Sue Mazzeo" <Sue.Mazzeo@xxxxxxxxxx>, <sherrybyrd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Nadine Grady" <rob-n-dine@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Nadine@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <MOBlanquet@xxxxxxx>, <LIG1950@xxxxxxx>, <EdChar@xxxxxxx>, <Bradfield@xxxxxxx>, "Doris Estabrook" <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Richard & Virginia Ayala" <grandin46@xxxxxxxxx>, "Cari Miller" <gracefield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gloria Smith" <glowhirl@xxxxxxxxx>, "Sarah Thompson" <Rachels_mommy97@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ed Mazzeo" <emazzeo@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Bob Grady" <BADBOB_2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Linda Kury" <LindaKury@xxxxxxxxx>, "Nancy Hubbell" <Kansten@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Stacy Hayano" <Starline@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Chet & Pat Larsen" <Larsenc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Shrley O'Brien" <alma_gsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Michael Lynch" <HearingDoctor@xxxxxxx>, "Susan Solari" <Solari@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Carol Hudd" <CarolHDD@xxxxxxx>, "Lew Bunch" <Lewieb@xxxxxxx>, "Paul & Jennifer Root" <Rivendellj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gene & Isabelle Dupzyk" <isamay@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bud Drew" <Gsdjudge@xxxxxxx>, "Dave & Jan Coleman" <Rocknolgsd@xxxxxxx>, "Brigitte Kaneda" <KBKaneda@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Evan Ginsburg" <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, "Sharon Albright" <Sharlen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Alycia Partei" <Frontiergsd@xxxxxxx>, "Dave Fritsche" <D_Frische@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Debbie Kaser" <DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx ( San Gabriel )>, "Theresa Royer \(Fanciers" <Theresaroyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Cindy Tellefsen" <Ctellefsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, "Peggy Mickelson" <Pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>, <caraland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx(List)>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 23:13:25 -0700

From: saova_california@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; To: S_California=20
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 6:36 PMSubject: CA AB1634 Opposition =
Strategy and Funding

A SAOVA message to sportsmen, pet owners and farmers concerned about =
protecting their traditions, avocations and livelihoods from =
anti-hunting, anti-breeding, animal guardianship advocates. Forwarding =
and cross posting, with attribution, encouraged.

-------

Dear SAOVA California Friends,

As many of you already know, Assemblyman Lloyd Levine's (D-40) AB1634 =
"California Healthy Pets Act" passed the Assembly Committee on Business =
and Professions last week. Don't be discouraged. I've been doing this =
work for over 30 years. Every legislature and lobbying fight is =
different, but that result was predictable, if not preordained.=20
http://meet-bobkane.notlong.com=20

The next stop for this forced pet sterilization bill before its floor =
vote is the Appropriations Committee. There's been enormous interest in =
stopping this animal rightist bill, with high volume internet blogging =
and dueling emails over new competing animal owner political action =
committees (PACs) to fund ad hoc animal owner opposition groups. =
Fighting over competing agendas and suggestions that checks have payment =
stopped make for interesting reading, but ignoring one high profile =
group's past record is a true mistake. I'm referring to the American =
Kennel Club's (AKC) deliberate, conscious effort to bargain away hunting =
and security dog owners' rights during 2001-2002 and 2005-2006 in the =
federal Puppy Protection Act and PAWS bills. AKC management's disregard =
for our interests may have changed since the first of the year, but you =
can't count on that. Its principal AB1634 goal appears to be protecting =
its Eukanuba National Championship dog show in Long Beach.=20

Sportsmen, pet and livestock owners are natural allies in this struggle =
against a common adversary. What's important now is for pet owners to =
invest in proven, experienced representation. Although this bill has =
generated intense interest on the part of hundreds, if not thousands, a =
handful of folks will decide AB1634's fate. California's Farm PAC =
http://www.cfbf.com/farmpac/index.cfm is one of those crucial parties. =
The California Farm Bureau Federation was one of the first groups to =
oppose this bill. I've personally spoken to CFBF Government Affairs =
personnel. Everyone has a role in this fight, but if I lived in CA, I'd =
want the farm lobby firmly on my side, tomorrow and in the future. It's =
smart business and smart politics.=20

On May 1, 2007, the NRA Members' Council of California declared its =
opposition to AB1634. This is believed to be the first time that a NRA =
affiliate has ever opposed animal legislation anywhere! Assemblyman =
Levine is strongly endorsed by HSUS, has a "F" rating from NRA-PVF and =
is currently also sponsoring an anti-gun owner bill, AB334. =
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=3D2007&aex=3Dab1634#ab1634

Please do your part to help defeat AB1634. Contributions to Farm PAC are =
fast and easy. http://www.cfbf.com/farmpac/PDF/CONTRIBUTE.pdf Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bob Kane=20
Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance -
Issue lobbying and working to identify and elect supportive legislators
Help fund our pro-animal owner advocacy via PayPal http://saova.org
=20

To all California dog clubs:

For the past two months, AKC has been strongly opposing California =
Assembly Bill 1634, which proposes to mandate the spaying or neutering =
of all dogs except those with an intact animal permit. The bill is =
currently under consideration by the Assembly Appropriations Committee. =
We are confident in the economic impact arguments we are making to its =
members.=20

Proponents of this bill, including its sponsor, have said that purebred =
dog breeders are not interested in being part of the solution to =
California's purported pet population issues. In addition to our =
substantive arguments on the bill's merits, to be ultimately successful =
in defeating this legislation, we must demonstrate that California's =
purebred dog breeders and fanciers contribute to the well-being of their =
communities.=20

We write to you today because we are interested in learning the ways =
your club has benefited your local community. For example, have you =
awarded scholarships for junior handlers or veterinary school students? =
Have you made donations to local animal health or welfare causes? Has =
your club held a Responsible Dog Ownership Day event? My goal is to =
compile a list of all the great things California clubs have done that =
have benefited their communities, and use this as another way to show =
not only that the merits of AB 1634 are terribly misguided, but also =
that, unlike what the opposition is saying, purebred dog breeders and =
fanciers do indeed contribute to the betterment of their communities.=20

We encourage you to send your clubs' list of good works to pmg@xxxxxxxx =
Because of time constraints, we ask that all responses be submitted by =
this Friday, May 4, 2007.=20

On behalf of the Canine Legislation Department staff, thank you for your =
continued efforts to defeat this onerous legislation.=20

Best regards,

Phil M. Guidry, J.D.
Legislative Analyst
Canine Legislation Department
pmg@xxxxxxx

P.S. For further information, please access our California Spay/Neuter =
Action Center at =
http://www.akc.org/canine_legislation/CA_action_center.cfm, or contact =
the Canine Legislation Department at (919) 816-3720.=20

Disclaimer: To maintain your membership you agree that disclosing, =
copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents =
of this email or list information is strictly prohibited. CH GERMAN =
SHEPHERD SHOW DOGS LIST is a privatley owned and operated email =
discussion list. All posts, pictures, photographs, emails, electronic =
transmissions or items otherwise produced by this list are personal, =
private, and confidential and may NOT be reproduced or forwarded in any =
form or fashion without the express written permission and consent of =
the list owners Tari Kridler & Debbie Dobbins. Copyright =A9 2007 CH =
GERMAN SHEPHERD SHOW DOGS LIST All rights reserved.=20
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: