[ SHOWGSD-L ] Frozen Semen Question

  • From: "Debra" <dhnath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:00:51 -0600

It seems that the focus of this question has gone to whether anyone has
received a letter from the facility storing the semen.  My question is does
anyone who has semen stored, and I assume there are quite a few, do you have
insurance on it?  If you do have insurance, what method do you use to place
a value on it (i.e. number of straws or number of potential puppies)?  Who
is your insurance company?

Thank you

Debra Hnath

Msg: #2 in digest
Subject: Re: Frozen Semen Question
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 18:22:58 -0500
From: barbara17236@xxxxxxx

Our storage vet in Maryland hasn't sent any letters.     Maybe they are
trying to lower their insurance premium by having the client have insurance
coverage instead.  I would call the office manager and the reason for the
letter.

Barb H

From: "RIN TIN TIN" <misshereford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:35:34 -0600

I did call the clinic and they would not give any explanation for the reason
for "recommending" additional insurance. And I called my insurance agent and
he said in his 30 years he had never been asked that question. And my
insurance agent deals with rural issues. In addition, my agent said in order
to insure something we would have to identify the perils: ie: what type of
security the facility had; the value of the semen; what type of backup
generators the facility had and other issues relative to the perils to be
insured.

I was curious if anyone who had semen stored had heard of anything like this
before. I am a bit concerned because if the clinic is worried enough to make
such a "recommendation" in a letter is the semen I have stored there safe?

daphne

Faithfully Yours,
Rin Tin Tin,
Miss Daphne Hereford.