[ SHOWGSD-L ] From Peggy....Re: Re: critiques and fall out

  • From: Stormy Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:41:25 -0800

On Jan 17, 2012, at 6:26 PM, Peggy wrote:

   There's a way to learn how to do an acceptable critique...not as
detailed as the European way, but usually acceptable...   if you have
access to a 4-H group find out if they are taught to compete at the
State level in a "gives and grants" competition......usually done when
judging livestock (e.g., beef or dairy cattle)...

  In cases like these, there are judging teams...one team competes
against the others (it can be done individually, but usually this is
only done to earn a place on a team)......A class is placed and the
spokesperson for the team gives the critiques from notes...but reads
them aloud.   It's called learning "gives and grants," because you
"give" credit and while you may find a weakness or fault, you "grant"
that you acknowledge that, but can forgive it because you have had to
"give" so many good points.
       This might not satisfy Lyn, who apparently wants a complete
critique on every entry--but it is a good way to learn and actually
the way most judges who judge dogs really work...........they see the
good points and the faults...if the good outweighs the bad, that's how
the dogs are placed........... or should be.
         Peggy

       ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lyn Chernak" <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx