[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: From AKC 8 Ways of Looking at a Dog Show Judge

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-l GSDList'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 09:10:06 -0800

I kind of like  # 2   and # 6........which kind of go with what we are talking
about this morning with a small white
spot on a dogs chest  ( for crying out loud )
Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

From: showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:showgsd-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx

Number 7 says it all! Ed

AKC  8 Ways of Looking at a Dog Show Judge
I thought some of the quotes were interesting.

New post on AKC Dog Lovers

<http://0.gravatar.com/blavatar/801b357490bc2a1944610163d7abbb5c?s=32&ts=1421913645>

 <http://akcdoglovers.com/author/americankennelclub/>

 <http://akcdoglovers.com/2015/01/22/8-ways-of-looking-at-a-dog-show-judge/> 8
Ways of Looking at a Dog Show Judge

by americankennelclub <http://akcdoglovers.com/author/americankennelclub/>
AKC Gazette, “Times Past”—What makes a good judge? The judges themselves have
been kicking around that question in our pages for 125 years. Here are some
answers.

“First Match,” May 1957 Gazette
1.      “It is first necessary for a judge to know dogs generally before he can
know any breed of dog in particular.”—Irving C. Ackerman, 1939
2.      “A good judge looks for virtues in every dog. Fault judging is lazy
judging, the pitfall of the inexperienced. The dog is picked apart and never
put back together.”—Mrs. George W. Dow, 1975
3.      “The breeder furnishes the dogs, but it is the judge who decides the
type.”—H.W. Lacy, 1925
4.      “Go over every dog carefully, if for no other reason than to make a
friend of each exhibitor by causing him to feel that he has a ‘run for his
money’ at least.”—Garvin Denby, 1931
5.      “Hesitancy in judging creates a bad impression on the ringside. Too
much speed in judging, however, is quite as bad. Exhibitors are never satisfied
when the judge has rushed through his work, even when he has done a good
job.”—W. Edgar Baker, 1938
6.      “Knowledgeable judging is the ability to reconcile oneself to the fact
that no perfect dog has yet been produced.”—Anna Katherine Nicholas, 1967
 7. “A judge who has acted entirely in good faith does not feel the necessity
of defending himself and his placings.”—John Kemps, 1946

“8 "you were invited as an expert. Be one.”—Anne Rogers Clark, 1996

Read the latest AKC Gazette  <http://www.akc.org/pubs/index.cfm> here, and
follow us on  <https://www.facebook.com/AKCgazettemagazine> Facebook and
<https://twitter.com/akc_gazette> Twitter.
 <http://akcdoglovers.com/author/americankennelclub/> americankennelclub |