[ SHOWGSD-L ] Formula for avoiding bloat and/or torsion!

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:34:59 -0500

I have been given permission by Da List Administration to share this important
information with everyone.  Too many people asked about what I did for me
to send individual notes.
As with most everything, - timing - is important.  I always waited at least an
hour
or more to feed after working, training or whatever.  This gives the dog, or
anyone,
time to relax and be ready for proper digestion.

I had rescues and boarders as well as dogs for training of many breeds & mutts.
I fed everyone as follows:  I would mix some canned food in with kibble using a
couple milk bones and leave them in sticking up whole.   This would make it so
that the dog had to take time to eat rather than gulping down the food.
Very often, if the dog wasn't in really good shape, like a rescue, I would feed
small breakfast as well as the evening meal.  I always weaned puppies gradually
so they would be able to get used to not having milk only.  I would always begin
feeding adult formula food at around 4 months of age.  Best to you!  Norma no L