[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: For those future and cuttent judges?

  • From: Paige McLaughlin <jimchyn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:06:22 -0700 (PDT)

Is it alowed still to take notes in the ring? Ray Johnson used to tell me about
when he  would judge saying that he would have a chart with each thing he was
looking for on it (ears, eyes, gait, coming and going, ect). He would then mark
each dogs' number on the paper and mark what he thought of the dog in all those
areas. Would we still be alowed to do this?

LeBrowngsd@xxxxxxx wrote:
I'm not a judge, but if there were no other "decent type" German Shepherds
in the ring, I'm thinking I would give a ribbon. I never understood the
concept of holding back a ribbon - you hold back first and award only second
(& 3rd or 4th). So the dog is SECOND to who ???

I will give you my reasons for not giving first place to a dog with a major
fault such as Tempermant. If you are judging a fairly large entry by the time
you get to Winners class you may forget that say the 9/12 dog was faulted for
Temperament. What happens then if you forget and award it the points. If you
give the animal a second then it does not come back in the ring for winner, no
room for error. As just pointed out by Fred in his mistake which can happen to
any of us as judge we could all make the same mistake that he did.

Something for you to think about if you decide to judge unless you feel that
would not make those mistakes.

Lee Brown
POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

Paige McLaughlin
McLin German Shepherds
www.geocities.com/jimchyn

http://mail.yahoo.com