[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Foot chewing

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:14:03 EST

I've had this over the years w/ several older dogs.  It's called a  "lick
granuloma". It can be caused by allergies, it can even be carpet cleaners  or
even mold on a deck, it can be from a low thyroid and it can be from stress
 or boredom, but sometimes I think it can be habit as much as anything.
How  old is your gal?

If you google it you'll find a lot of ideas, but here's what I did...go buy
 a BUNCH of hydrogen peroxide and LOTS of white cotton children's socks and
some  sports tape.  Every time she comes in, dunk her foot in a Tupperware
container of hydrogen peroxide by the door, pat semi-dry, put a clean white
sock  and tape loosely.  If she's out for any length of time (naturally w/
the  sock off) you'll have to watch that she isn't licking. A couple of
times a  day throw out the hydrogen peroxide in the container and replace w/
fresh. If  you are religious about this you'll have it cleared up in 3-4 days;
the hydrogen  peroxide will work wonders.  If she's an absolute fanatic
about getting to  her feet you may have to spray the socks w/ bitter apple
(hairspray will work  too, tastes just as bad).

I'd also ask the vet about putting her on amoxycillin.  Sometimes they  can
make such a mess of things the hair follicles becomes infected.  But
definitely ask the vet.  This isn't something that you keep them on the RX  for
2
weeks, it can take a while.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 12/22/2010 11:55:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I  have a bitch who constantly chews inside the pads of both her front
feet.  She
has been doing this for months and does it in all  seasons.  The vet and I
have
thoroughly examined her several times  for irritants, thorns, etc., but can
find
nothing.  I feed her  Solid Gold Barking At the Moon which contains no corn
or
wheat.  She  does not limp.  She is in beautiful condition and displays no
other
symptoms of any kind.  My two other bitches have the same regimen and  do
not do
this.  Does anyone know what may be causing this  chewing?  The vet and I
are
stumped!   Thanks.

Zoa
Dr. Zoa  Rockenstein
www.riverrockshepherds.com

Home of: Grand Ch.  RiverRock's Hotel California RN HSAs CHIC (Callie),
RiverRock's  Straight From The Heart PT (Sera), RiverRock's Karla v. Kenlyn
(ch.
pointed), Kenlyn's Nakita (Nikki, co-owned with Kent Boyles), and
RiverRock's
Heart of the Matter (Luke, ch.  pointed)
POST  is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

NATIONAL  BLOG -  http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/