[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Food Aggression Help?

  • From: Doris E <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jodeeshepherds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:10:18 -0800

Dee and Joe wrote:
>I have placed a 4+ yr. old rescue male in a home with 3 Yorkies.  He is great
>with the little ones except when he is eating.  He growls severely and jumped
>at one.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deter this?  I suggested
>using some coins in a can and shaking them when he begins growling and telling
>him a stern no.
>This boy is extremely laid back and sweet and they don't want to give up on
>him but also don't want him hurting the Yorkies.  If anyone has dealt with
>this successfully in the past, please let me know your technique.
>Thanks,
>Dee

 *I don't see any reason to insist he eat with the Yorkies.  Feed him
separately, and let the good relationship continue peacefully.  Possibly
as he becomes more settled in the home, his attitude will change.
Please don't let him make a mistake with the smaller dogs.  It would be
a real shame. Doris E*