[ SHOWGSD-L ] Flowerboy is not doomed.

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx, Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 19:16:16 -0400 (EDT)

Maybe we could change the standard to judge on age. The oldest dogs would
win the show, then we could all breed for longevity.

I pose a question.  If we breed each litter to improve the breed, and  each
breeding is to better the offspring, what is the sense of using frozen
sperm from 30 years ago?  We just tried to have a Stars and Stripes litter.  It
didn't take, but shouldn't we use current males if we have been improving
the  breed?

Then we come to the post that said years ago she improved by breeding to a
German male, and feels it would be important now to out-cross to a German
dog.  What reasoning do we have to think a German dog today is as good as a
German dog was 30 years ago?  Have they eliminated problems while we
haven't?

I don't have answers, but I do have a lot of questions.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German  Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together

In a message dated 6/28/13 11:08:17 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

There  was a person on the list yesterday that said until health is the
number one  reason to breed and improve our bred we will continue to have
problems. I said  pretty much the same thing a week or so ago.  I