[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Flea Bombs & Fish Tanks

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chsweetsun@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:15:55 -0400

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:50:41 -0400, Tari Kridler
<chsweetsun@xxxxxxx> wrote:=20

>We have a slight case of Fleas here and before they get out
>of hand we want to bomb.? But, I have 2 huge freshwater
>aquariums.? I cannot move these.? What is reccommended??

Sending to the group as well, in case anyone else might
have need for this info...

The solution is easy-peasy... but time consuming. What you
need to do is cover the tank and EVERYTHING that would
ever come into contact with the tank, water or fish. This
would included any fill buckets, Pythons, chemicals and
definitely food. If the items can be removed, that would
be ideal but not absolutely necessary. Covering everything
with a good layer of newspaper or some blankets, sheets or
towels will suffice. You need to turn off or unplug all
equipment except for your submerged heaters. Definitely
turn off all filters and air pumps as you don't want the
insecticide to be pumped into the water. (Don't worry...
the fish will be just fine without them for a few hours.)
After everything is removed, turned off or covered, just
set up your bombs following package directions and leave
for the appointed time. When you return, air out the room
-- use fans in windows for best results -- for about 15 to
30 minutes. At that point, you should be able to safely
turn all your equipment back on. (If in doubt, leave the
filters and air pumps till the very end.) But do continue
airing out the room for awhile. As an added precaution, I
always do a 10% water change at the end.

I hope this is helpful. We do this every year around this
time in our basement where our tanks are located. It helps
to keep the spider population under control. For
reference, we like the Raid Fumigators. They are easy to
use, effective long-term (they contain permethrin) and
leave little-to-no lasting odor. They also don't harm or
stain furnishings or collectibles.

PS: Don't forget to take the batteries out of your smoke
detectors before you fog.  ;)

--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx