[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Falling Entries

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 00:34:04 -0500

Dave's post makes me want to share this one, which I received from a
very active (in the dog world) woman who is on my legislative list...(my
personal list, not one of the big public ones)...she is very sure about
this, and the more I see around me, and hear what is going on with the
dog show world, I tend to agree with her.  I've been saying the dog
world as we know it will be gone in less than 20 years...Joan had a much
shorter timeframe...this is what she sent me after we heard about the
proposed legislation in Pennsylvania, and the changes to the law in
Louisville.  Please do NOT pass this around...I had permission to share
it with this list and this list only............
Peggy
> This is getting to be insane - city after city - county after county -
> state after state.
>
> I believe the ARM/people have very cleverly and carefully plotted,
> using pins on a wall chart, where their next effort will be. So it
> keeps everyone, and every kennel club/organization, working 24/7.
>
> I honestly have never believed that AKC can hope to have every kennel
> club (some only have 20+ members) to have the expertise, the time, the
> money, etc to fight the movement. AKC must use the muscle found in the
> well heeled fancier, the corporate folk, the entertainment
> personalities, the media folk (dog trade mags), etc to place less
> emphasis on the next cocktail party, or a night at the opera, or what
> ever social event and more emphasis on poorly informed legislators.
>
> My next belief is that the dog show scene as we now know it has about
> 6 years of life left. Low purchase numbers of pure bred dogs, low
> breeding/registration numbers, low entry numbers, low spectator
> numbers at shows are all a portend of things to come. Perhaps the
> great wish to have less shows with "better quality" will become a
> reality as we return to the days when only corporate giants had the
> resources to breed/show dogs. So many people that you and I know have
> said that they think their dog breeding days are over as they have
> less calls for dogs. True, some breeds remain quite popular, but
> others are becoming "rare breeds". For example, Wire Fox Terriers have
> reasonably good entries over the MCKC weekend, and at other select
> shows, but ordinary all-breed shows may only have 1 or 2, if any.
>
> Lastly, I really don't think the fancy has a well-planned general plan
> of attack to counteract the ARM. True, letters/contact with the
> officials in Louisville may avoid the passage of their proposed BSL,
> but tomorrow it will be another town, another city, another county,
> another state.
>
> Now, those of us that were/are outspoken about AKC's actions, or lack
> thereof, run the risk of being charged as being poor sportsman by our
> own national organization. Am I becoming paranoid or what?????
>
> Joan

<>David Fritsche <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Or we can just recognize that we are relics of the past and we enjoy the
earth, the dogs and the friends we meet more than watching TV reality shows
with people eating worms and spiders. If we do that, then we will probably
relax and enjoy the years we have left in the hobby that we have chosen and
cherish the friends we have made and the breed that we love, without guilt,
fear or a sense that somewhere we are failing. It may well be, that we have
succeeded in accomplishing something in dogdom and in the history of animal
husbandry that few today really care about, but which will leave its
mark in
our world, but more importantly, in the hearts of human and dog - for
eternity.
Dave

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the
original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or
FORWARDS of any kind are permitted without prior permission of the
original author AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE
EXPRESS PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS
EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS
PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

http://mail.yahoo.com