[ SHOWGSD-L ] FYI.. Paying the cost of miracles / Fine print

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: ssthunderpony@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:11:52 EST

In a message dated 3/9/2007 10:11:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ssthunderpony@xxxxxxxxx writes:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/03/06/petscol.DTL

There is a credit card offered at some vets called Care  Credit.

It appears to be geared for pet  owners.

They give you an entire year to pay  it off w/o interest.

You should inquire w/ your  vet if they carry this card and look into it.

I have not heard if every charge falls into the year w/o interest  .

This card is also offered at some lasik providers, for cosmetic and routine
dentistry too.  Here's some of the fine print:

*No Interest if Paid Within 3, 6, 12 or 18  Months*
Minimum monthly payments required
*Applies to purchases of $300 or more made on the CareCredit credit card
account.   Under the promotion, no finance charges will be assessed on  the
promotional purchase as long as:  (1) pay the promo purchase amount in  full
within
3, 6, 12 or 18 months (the â??promo periodâ??) and (2) pay, when due,  the
minimum monthly payment on your account, which includes a required minimum
monthly
payment on the promo purchase.   If you fail to satisfy either  of the above
conditions or account balance exceeds credit limit, all special  promo terms
may be terminated and finance charges may be assessed on promo  purchase amount
from date of purchase.  On promotions requiring a minimum  payment, payments
over the minimum will usually be applied to those promo  balances before
non-promo and other balances.  If you have a non-promo  balance, this may
reduce
the benefit from the promo.  If you want to change  this allocation, please
call
866-893-7864.  Optional debt cancellation  charges on promo purchase are not
deferred and are not subject to the promo  terms.  Standard card agreement
terms apply to non-promo purchases and  existing accounts.  As of September 15,
2006 variable APR is 22.98% and  variable delinquency APR of 28.99% applies if
the minimum payment not made by  payment due date, payment not honored or
credit line exceeded. Minimum finance  charge is $1.50. Subject to credit
approval
by GE Money Bank.
All plans are not available in all offices.
*******
It appears to me from reading the application, that not all applications are
approved and the term of the 0% interest period will depend on an
individual's  credit score.  The 22.98% interest fee at the end of the
"promotional
period" looks like a real 'gottcha.  Of course, you wouldn't know what
"promotional period",(if any), you qualified for while standing at the counter
of an
emergency vet. Notice also (IMPORTANT!) there is a "debt cancellation  charge",
so let's say when things settle down, you find the terms aren't what  you'd
hoped for and you move/transfer/pay off the debt. There is some  undefined
"debt
cancellation charge". More 'gottcha.
Now, we can read and calmly comprehend all this today sitting in front of our
 computer screen.  I wonder how many people do when they hit the E-vet at
2AM?
I read the lady's (in the article) story.  My hair stands on end when I  see
bills run up like that and unfortunately, with the cost of things vets "can"
do today, on occasion without discussing with the owner the possible
outcomes/quality and probable length of life after a particular set of
procedures (I
know it can be a crap shoot; give me an honest assessment of the  odds!) we
hear it more and more.
Very sad:(
Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_
http://www.aol.com.