[ SHOWGSD-L ] FWD:Ecuador just gave every virus, bacterium, insect, tree & weed constitutional rights.

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:12:32 EST

ah...I wish I could just call it a joke, so I could laugh....but I can't.
Stormy
 Why We Call Them Human Rights

    Date: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:54 am ((PST)

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/823qaarg.asp

http://tinyurl.com/6rqbhk

Why We Call Them Human Rights
Ecuador just gave every virus, bacterium, insect, tree & weed
constitutional rights.
by Wesley J. Smith
11/24/2008, Volume 014, Issue 10

Rights, properly understood, are moral entitlements embodied in law to
protect all people. They are not earned: Rights come as part of the
package of being a member of the human race. This principle was most
eloquently enunciated in the Declaration of Independence's assertion
that we are all created equal and endowed with inalienable rights to
life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

This doctrine of human exceptionalism has been under assault in recent
decades from many quarters. For example, many bioethicists assert that
being human alone does not convey moral value, rather an individual must
exhibit "relevant" cognitive capacities to claim the rights to life and
bodily integrity. Animal rights ideology similarly denies the intrinsic
value of being human, claiming that we and animals are moral equals
based on our common capacity to feel pain, a concept known as
"painience."...

NAIA News
National Animal Interest Alliance

Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news &