[ SHOWGSD-L ] FWD: From Chicago Resident...read and ACT

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:28:56 EDT

Mancuso (California WWW=wicked witch of the west) has moved her support east,
encouraging people to write the aldermembers since you "evil greedy breeders"
are opposing this   ACT.   The Animal Council Update of which Margo writes
will be next post.
Stormy
Hoping this doesn't turn into gobbledygook.

FORWARDING PERMITTED AND ENCOURAGED
LET'S GET THE WORD OUT!!!

Proposed Chicago Mandatory Spay/Neuter (MSN) ordinance to be modeled
on Los Angeles MSN ordinance

Ramifications will be tremendous for all owners and breeders of
purebred dogs throughout the United States

by Margo Milde
July 25 2008

Chicago aldermen have repeatedly told us, in the past several weeks,
that the Chicago ordinance will be based on the new Los Angeles
Mandatory Spay/Neuter (MSN) law, which will go into effect in Los
Angeles on October 1 2008. Therefore, it's very instructive to
examine the new Los Angeles MSN law to learn what's in store for us
should our proposed Chicago MSN not be defeated.

I guarantee you won't like what you see. I sure didn't and neither
will anyone else who values their dog ownership and breeding rights.

Under the Los Angeles law it will be impossible to get the
spay/neuter exemption permits required. That's because a registry
would have to be qualified first, and no registry in the United
States or Canada would be able to meet the specified requirements.
We are quite certain that Animal Rights groups such as Humane Society
of the United States (HSUS), which had input into the Los Angeles law
and have been busy helping to write the proposed Chicago ordinance,
intended it to be that way. This is not some technical mistake that
will be quickly remedied. They know what they are doing.

Therefore, since no dog or cat in Los Angeles would be eligible for
the exemption permit once the law goes into effect on October 1, all
dogs and cats over four months of age would have to be spayed or
neutered. It would be impossible to lawfully keep intact, let alone
lawfully breed, your pets after October 1 in Los Angeles (yes, true
even for valuable purebred show animals; yes, even those animals
belonging to "responsible breeders" ; yes, even for individual dogs
of "rare breeds" for which conservation of the gene pool is critical
to the breed's future!)

Pause for a moment to let this sink in.

Now, let's look at the details. I've attached at the end a very
recent article from The Animal Council which explains the specifics
(scroll down to the section entitled "EVOLUTION OF DISCRIMINATORY
FACTORS IN CALIFORNIA DIFFERENTIAL LICENSING, PART II:") where you
can read the whole sordid affair for yourself, but I'll emphasize a
few points here relating to the Los Angeles law which, as they
happily keep telling us, we would undoubtedly see here if our Chicago
MSN passes.

Under the Los Angeles law, AKC and other registries must first apply
to Los Angeles for official "recognition" with Los Angeles before any
breeders can apply for the intact dog permits for dogs registered
under the AKC (or other registries). Should other municipalities pass
a similar law (how many municipalities are there in the U.S. ?!) AKC
and other registries would have to apply to each and every
jurisdiction individually for recognition. And, under the Los Angeles
law, they must apply every three years, and that only if
no "requirements breach" would occur during those three years!  But
this is irrelevant, because, as you'll see, no registry in existence
can meet several of these requirements, which include:

1.  "Maintains and enforces a code of ethics for breeding that
includes: (etc)"

NO registry in existence can meet that requirement!

Some parent clubs have a COE (which, by the way, is often hard to
enforce except for the most egregious offenses), however, the AKC,
UKC, Canadian Kennel Club, and probably every other valid kennel club
you've ever heard of in the US or Canada does not involve itself (nor
should they!) in telling people how to make decisions regarding
breeding the dogs they own. That's because they act as a registry for
the dogs themselves; *you* do not belong to the AKC. Yes, if you
falsify a registration and get caught, or are convicted of a serious
animal cruelty offense, the AKC will suspend your privileges for a
certain length of time and/or fine you. But this is significantly
different than what is implied under a COE for breeding.

2. "Under no circumstances allows, endorses, or engages in any
activity that is determined to be intentionally harmful or
detrimental to the health and/or safety of animals or humans."

The AKC and other registries permit and encourage field trials and
hunt tests, in which the game is killed.  (Maybe, since we're dealing
with the twisted Animal Rights mind that wrote these requirements,
they may even state that earthdog tests and herding trials constitute
an intentional harm to the safety of animals.) Therefore, this would
make any registry having hunt tests or field trials, such as the AKC,
ineligible as a recognized registry if this is interpreted verbatim â??
which I'm certain is the intention of its Animal Rights authors.

3. "Proposes a method for assessing and certifying dogs or cats in
conformance with LAMC (Los Angeles Municipal Code) that can be
verified."

The AKC (and UKC, and Canadian Kennel Club etc) does NOT "assess and
certify" dogs but operates strictly as a registry. Again, to "assess
and certify dogs" is NOT a function of a registry, nor should it be.

You are probably asking at this point: Why is this taking place?

Wayne Pacelle, today's Chief Executive Officer of the HSUS, was
quoted as saying the following:

"We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of
livestock produced through selective breeding ...One generation and
out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals.
They are creations of human selective breeding."
source: http://www.activistcash.com/biography_quotes.cfm/bid/3366

I guess it's time we believed him.

The HSUS and other Animal Rights groups are doing everything in their
power to shut down ALL pet breeding across the U.S. Passage of such
laws by misinformed representatives (supported by the even more
misinformed popular media and the general public) will in effect make
pet breeding an illegal activityâ??no matter was the elected officials
thought they were passing. This is a well-thought-out systematic
plan, devised by the Animal Rights groups, and should definitely not
be taken lightly. As cities and even states fall one by one, the
Animal Rights extremists will methodically and inexorably move
towards their goal of eliminating domestic animal ownership and
breeding entirely across the United States and Canada .

But it's even worse than this, due to the limited breeding lifespan
of our dogs, and the limited gene pools of many of our purebred
breeds.

Lawsuits regarding this ordinance have already been filed in Los
Angeles against that City.  However, it will probably take many, many
months of legal wrangling (if not years, maybe not ever) for the Los
Angeles ordinance to get worked out to the point that pet breeding is
once again a lawful activity in that city. So what will happen to our
purebred dog breeds in the meantime?

The maximum breedable age is probably for a bitch is generally
considered to be 10 years, and 12 years for a dog (and that's
generous for many of our larger breeds, who usually don't live even
that long.) The type of anti-breeding laws passed in Los Angeles and
which is now being proposed in Chicago would in effect make pet
breeding â?? even by "responsible breeders" â?? an illegal activity. Shut
down breeding in several major metropolitan areas and/or a couple of
large states using these laws for any length of time (even for as
short a period as five years), and you would have effectively
eliminated sufficient gene pools for maintenance of number of our
rarer breeds, as well as a number of lines of better known breeds. As
long-time Health Education Chair for an AKC parent breed club
(Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club of America), I can assure you from a
health standpoint that there is a great need to preserve genetic
diversity even in our more populous breeds, and this need is extreme
in a number of our rarer breeds, or even in some of our more popular
breeds in which only a handful of breeding lines predominate. Even
just three to five years of these types of anti-breeding laws in just
a few major cities or a larger state or two would make a tremendous
dent in our purebred and working dog populations in the US, and
possibly send some breeds beyond the point of no return.

Don't think for one moment that the Animal Rights activists don't
recognize the limited breeding lifespan of our dogs. What's our most
optimistic guess for the return of legal breeding once again to Los
Angeles, even if the courts issue opinions in our favor? Three years?
Five years? That's about how long it will take to legalize animal
breeding in Los Angeles, even if the lawsuits all work out for our
side. Many large breeds have an average lifespan of only eight years.
And even if this Los Angeles law is eventually overturned, breeders
will be forced to get all of their breeding stock from elsewhere
since all of their animals would have been spayed or neutered under
law, so there would have an even longer time before breeding could
effectively resume. See, the Animal Rights people have this all
planned out.

I'll repeat: The official word from the City Aldermen/women is that
the Chicago MSN ordinance is being modeled on the Los Angeles law.
They're not planning anything less onerous for us here. And, when
Chicago falls, who will be next? There will be no escape. Proponents
of this type of ordinance are trying to encourage other
municipalities and counties in California (and elsewhere) to adopt
this type of law. So, after reading this, the next time you hear
someone say that they believe that MSN, with "responsible breeder"
intact dog permits, is good for purebred dogs (and won't
hurt "responsible breeders"), you will have a very educated reply for
them with reasons why MSN, even with "permits", is NOT in the best
interests of the continuation of our purebred dog breeds, nor our
purebred dog ownership and breeding rights.

And, with the Chicago situation, we are talking directly about the
HSUS. They have been instrumental in the passage of anti-pet
ownership and anti-breeding laws in many other states, counties, and
cities. Mr. John Yates brought up scathing confirmation of the direct
HSUS involvement in the writing of our proposed Chicago MSN in his
article "Chicago Spay/Neuter Mandate Based On Lies" that he wrote
back in May. I sent it out to everyone earlier this week as an
attachment; if for some reason you didn't read it, you can access it
at this link:
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?tS622
I also posted additional information on this topic on May 23 on the
il-pet-law list.

How much do you value your rights to own (and even breed) your
purebred dogs? If this is important to you, it's time to stand up and
be counted. If Chicago is intentionally going down this path of
illegalizing all pet breeding, with help of the HSUS, we need to
expose this every inch of the way as part of their overall game plan
to eliminate pet breeding in the U.S, and with it our cherished and
valued purebred breeds. This is absolutely critical to any future
successes we will have in fighting Animal Rights' (especially HSUS')
attempts to limit our pet ownership and breeding rights.

And don't forget to show up on Tuesday July 29 2008 and tell `em what
you think at Chicago City Hall :
http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm

Thanks, everyone.

Margo Milde
AKC Legislative Liaison â?? Rand Park Dog Training Club Inc
AKC Legislative Liaison â?? Agility Ability Club of Illinois
Health Education Chair â?? Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club of America

Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for
FanHouse Fantasy Football today.