[ SHOWGSD-L ] FW: VA - Retired MWD (GSD) needs home by 15 Dec - "Servant's future unclear"

  • From: <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:03:02 -0500

Posted at Linda Kury's request.  Can anyone help ?  This is a 12 year old
military dog who desperately needs a home.  The deadline to euthanize him is
TOMORROW.

Margy

From: "Bonnie - Military Mascots" <militarymascots@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: December 12, 2006 10:35:27 PM CST
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Subject: Retired MWD (GSD) needs home by 15 Dec - "Servant's future unclear"

  <http://dcmilitary.com/images/icons/pentagram.gif>
 <http://dcmilitary.com/stories/120706/pentagram_27899.shtml>
http://dcmilitary.com/stories/120706/pentagram_27899.shtml

Thursday, December 7, 2006

Servant's future unclear

by Dennis Ryan Pentagram staff writer

 <http://dcmilitary.com/images/pentagramphotos/7452_512.jpg>

Allan, a German Shepherd,
awaits an owner or death.
The veteran, who spent a tour in Iraq, lays around most the day half paying
attention to a blaring TV. Back trouble due to aging forced him to cease his
patrols some four months ago.

The old veteran has been around the world performing his military duties,
but unlike most military members he will not be allowed to enjoy his
retirement. Allan is a 12-year-old German shepherd military police dog and
unless a home is found for him by Dec. 15, he will euthanized.

Allan has spent his career based at Fort Myer. The explosive dog is also
patrol certified. Sgt. 1st Class Casey Gregg of the 947th Military Police
Company explained some of the peculiarities to adopting a military dog.

''No kids. No other pets," Gregg said from Fort Myer's kennel Tuesday. ''The
dog's demeanor is not too aggressive. The dog has bitten people during the
conduct of his duties."

Allan spends his days in a portable kennel in the new kennel building's
meeting room next to a television. He can't stay in the regular kennels
because he slips after they are washed down regularly.

Visitors to the kennel can look at a photo of Tex wearing sunglasses, in the
hallway near the meeting room. The former military working dog was adopted
three years ago and he is still doing fine Gregg said.

Fort Myer Garrison Commander Col. Thomas A. Allmon said, ''I hope that
someone in our generous community will open their heart and home to this
loyal servant of our nation."

Sgt. Shawn Jordan teamed with Allan during his last year of service.

''He and I were real close," Jordan said. ''We've been to New Delhi, India,
and Cancun, Mexico, on presidential security details. Definitely, he's a
good dog. He doesn't like other pets. No kids. He's still a big puppy."

Gregg would prefer Allan's future owners have some knowledge of dogs. They
don't have to be ex-trainers or anything, just have a basic grasp of canine
discipline. They would also have to sign a liability waiver.

''If someone is suitable to adopt Allan, they will be fully briefed [on
commands]," the first sergeant said. ''Medical care will be discussed. The
dog doesn't have a long life expectancy. I'd give him one, maybe two years."

Allan's handlers would like to see him have the chance to do what some
retired service members do, ''get fat and lazy." The dog's paper work has
already been taken care of. Allan is ready to go, all he needs is a home for
Christmas or on Dec. 15 he will be put to sleep.

Interested parties should contact Sgt. 1st Class Casey Gregg at (703)
696-8848.