[ SHOWGSD-L ] FLAXSEED OIL AND FERTILITY

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:26:43 EST

This was forwarded to me by my neighbor, a Coton Breeder.   This does NOT say
Flaxseed is bad for animals, but may have caused some infertility problems.
Just for your Information, not to cause a yes, it's good, no it's bad war ,
Please!
Stormy
 Begin forwarded message:
> flaxseed
>

> NEWS
> FLAXSEED OIL AND FERTILITY
>
> by Robert Jay Russell, Ph.D.,
> Coton de Tulear Club of America President,
> www.cotonclub.com http://www.cotonclub.com
>
> January 16th, 2008. For years, flaxseed oil (formally called
> "linseed oil"--**NOTE 1) has been recommended for both human and
> pet consumption. It has been touted as a balm for a number of
> problems. Amongst the claims for this product:
>
> (1) Flaxseed oil is rich in essential fatty acids (EFAs).
> flaxseed oil contains twice as much Omega 3 (fish oil
> fatty acid) than does fish oil and it contains
> Omega-6 fatty acid (linoleic acid as in vegetable oil).
>
> (2) Flaxseed oil is said to help soften stools and it helps stabilize
> cholesterol levels, heart rate, blood pressure. It has been used
> to treat heart disease, inflammation and lupus. Lignans in
> flaxseed oil is said to help fight cancer, bacteria, fungi and
> viruses.
> Most of these benefits have been confirmed by scientific tests.
>
> (3) Flaxseed oil is often prescribed by holistic practioners as an
> aid to
> fertility and pregnancy in both humans and canines. It is said
> to improve uterine function. There is no scientific confirmation
> of this claim.
>
> Given that flaxseed oil has risen to the rank of a popular "wonder
> drug" there's little wonder that more and more health supplements
> for dogs are based upon flaxseed oil and flaxseed oil has appeared
> in many dog foods as a health additive.
>
> Today, we noticed the onset of some internet and newspaper reports
> stating that Flaxseed oil has caused infertilty and in some cases
> the resorption of fetuses in canines, e.g.,
>
> I only know that myself and several other breeders had a sudden
> onset of fetility problems in our bitches when using the "the
> missing link" supplement which is flax based. Problems included
> lack of conception & resorption of early pregnancies. We came to
> find out the this product had NOT been tested on breeding animals.
> This is the case with most products marketed for "pets" they do not
> have to be tested on breeding animals unless they are labeled for
> them.
> I personally would not used any flax based supplements A; flax is
> for horses not dogs & contains the wrong kinds of omegas fish based
> products are better for carnivores and B; it has not been proven
> safe for breeding animals of ANY kind.
>
> And an article about a Newfoundland breeder in the Binghamton Press
> & Sun Bulletin, 1/16/08 (http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs
.dil/articl?AID=20080116LIFESTYLE/801160301)

> [...]
> getting any of the dogs pregnant for several years. "I had the
> water tested. I went to Cornell (University) and they monitored the
> breedings. In the end, the common demoninator that inhibited
> pregnancies was flaxseed oil. It was in everything they ate."
>
> She changed their meat product, treats and kibble. "I never thought
> all the breeding (three femaes) would take, but it did."
>
> After eliminating flaxseed oil from her Newfoundlands' diet, she
> whelped 34 pups in three litters; one female alone had 17 pups.
>
> Dr. Russell continues:
>
> We strongly believe diet and health decisions--heck most decisions--
> should be based upon solid science, not rumor. But in the absence
> of definitive studies, confirmed anectdotes can provide a heads-up,
> especially if heeding the anectdotes will cause no harm. In this
> case, flaxseed oil is not an essential (absolutely required)
> dietary supplement, hence eliminating flaxseed oil from the diet of
> breeding dogs would likely cause no harm and may indeed benefit a
> mating's chance of success.
>
> Of course elminating flaxseed oil from a dog's diet may prove
> problematic since it is an ubiquitous additive (we found it in one
> of our Coton's favorite treats, Canidae Gourmet Snap-Bites, and in
> Merrick kibble as well as Bi-Nature Organics kibble ). However, we
> have not seen any consisitent reduction in litter size or puppy
> vigor here at Alika Cotons. This, too, is a single anectdote, not a
> conclusion of a scientific study!
>
> If flaxseed oil is found to actually cause breeding difficulties,
> it probably does so because some of the chemical components of
> flaxseed oil do mimic the actions of hormones (it is classified as
> a phytoestrogen) a phytoestrogen)<wbr>. Flaxseed oil is known t
> decreasing clotting. In fact, the PDR for Nutritional Supplements,
> Medical Economic, Thompson Healthcare, Montvale, NJ, 2001, p. 151,
> states that "[w]omen who are preganant should not use supplemental
> flaxseed oil or flaxseedbecause of the theoretical possibility that
> these lignan-containing substances might induce menstruration.
>
> THERE'S A TIME AND A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING
> Well, maybe not everything, but I do want to emphasize that
> flaxseed oil is not a toxin and may, in fact be highly beneficial
> to your dog or cat as a means of acquiring essential, beneficial
> fatty acids. Yet not every beneficial food is beneficial all the
> time, and flaxseed oil may be harmful to reproduction. Think of
> this as you might regard milk: it is essential pre-weaning but very
> problematic post-weaning. Having said that, I should note that one
> of my favorite food groups is Coffee Ice Cream and I am many
> decades post weaning!
> **NOTE 1: Linseed oil is sometimes sold in hardware stores for use
> as an industrial lubricant. These oils may contain poisonous
> additives, so never ingest nonfood linseed oil.

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.