[ SHOWGSD-L ] FLANKING

  • From: "DOC" <wynsum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:09:52 -0500

WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx typed about FLANKING on 15 Dec 2004, at 12:34:

because no matter where the dog comes from..
they
should be taught in prey drive always and first

--> Actually, every dog has a different drive - some play, some prey etc.
That is the drive used to train a dog..  I am going to recommend that if
you
plan to train a dog in obedience, agility, or whatever, you read this
book:

SCHUTZHUND OBEDIENCE - TRAINING IN DRIVE by SHeila Booth

It discusses the different drives and how to use them.

In my limited time on the SCH Field, I saw most dogs being trained in PLAY
drive and the police work dogs in prey drive. Again, each dog is
DIFFERENT.

I would not recommend anyone try to flank a dog to show prey drive unless
they really know what they were doing.

I have used Sheila's book to train for obedience and agility and highly
recommend reading it.  THe book will tell you how todetermine your dog's
best drive and how to use it for training.