[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Extremely interesting information regarding the Nationa...

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:50:01 -0800 (PST)

Heck make it a 1000 miles for a local show. You can do it in 2 days no problem.
I would consider AZ a local show and it is 1369 miles from Oregon. It takes me
about 18 driving hours with dogs.  It is south and I don't run into that much
snow.
Terry
Gsdman2@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 2/12/2005 10:20:36 PM Central Standard Time,
mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Debbie managed to come
up with Daytona, knowing it was not ideal, but also knowing it was far
better than nothing. So, it is not accurate to include Daytona as evidence
of a failure of the "inclusive" approach, as that really is not what it was
at all.
I am aware of the problems that led to the Daytona national, but I think the
site still demonstrates the effect of putting a national specialty out of
driving range for too many people. The "inclusive" approach does not take this
most important factor into consideration, even though it easily could. All that
would be needed is to decide that any national within driving distance, (I
suggest 12 hours to be "driving distance" based on a poll I once took), is
actually "including" everyone within that circle. Of course, it would be
impossible to point out a spot that is 12 hours drive from any coast in every
instance,
but the idea is not necessarily to always move the national away from the
coast. It is to include as many potential exhibitors as possible within a 12
hour drive radius of the site.
Once again I suggest that moving the national to places which leave a drive
that is difficult to impossible for people, is actually an exclusive approach,
and that is proven by the fact that fewer people are able to attend those
nationals. In addition, the smaller draws are damaging to the show's prestige,
and that will ultimately do a great deal of harm to future entry.

performance events, and until we do there is no reason to assume that the
percentage of potential exhibitors who actually exhibit in those venues would
be
any different from the conformation draw.

Also ... I'm glad people consider 500 miles "local." In fact, lets call 700
miles "local" and use that number of miles to expand the area for those folks
who believe every area should have a national "local" at one time or another.

Tom Langlitz

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

http://mail.yahoo.com