[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Elevated ALT Values

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:39:32 GMT

I took Kelly back for another blood test yesterday.  His ALT value has
increased from 375 two weeks ago (I originally reported it incorrectly as 350)
to 531 yesterday.  As was true last time, the other bood test values were
within the "normal" range.  The vet will be scheduling an ultra-sound for him.
On the plus side, he's gained some weight.  He was 60 lbs (fasting weight) and
yesterday he was 65 lbs after eating his breakfast and drinking water.  Per his
vet's suggestion, he's getting one McDonald's double cheeseburger a day without
the bun and so far it's not affecting his SIBO.

PLEASE - if you have any ideas or suggestions about Kelly's ALT value please
let me know - he's passed both a SNAP 4 and T4 test and nothing looked unusual
on his x-rays.

THANKS!!!

Gayle & the Hooligans!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=4294023 - Link to The
Hooligans Albums

-- "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been offline for about 5 or 6 months and just got back on Sunday and I
already need the list's help!!!  Kelly, 11-1/2 years old, had his physical
yesterday.
His weight is down to 60 lbs (a good weight for him is 75) - it's been dropping
the past 18 months or so, since about the same time he had surgery for bloat
w/torsion (he lost about 1/3 of his stomach and his spleen).  Anyway, his
bloodwork was fine except for an elevated ALT value - 350. He's going back
tomorrow for x-rays and he'll probably be scheduled to have an ultrasound
depending on what his doctor finds.

He has SIBO, only eats Eukanuba Low Residue, has a Pill Pocket AM and PM as a
treat, drinks well water, takes Interceptor, Dasuquin, and I apply Frontline as
needed (so far only once this year).

I can't find much information on the web except that the elevate ALT value is
associated with liver damage. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might
be wrong.

THANKS for any help you can give me!!!!