[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: East or West..

  • From: "R. Steiner" <mobilegrmr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 14:02:27 -0500

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM, pmick12 <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just looking at them, what is the big difference
> between DDR/East and West German dogs?
>
> I know that, depending on to whom you are speaking, one is a working dog and
> the other isn't....yeah, right...as I said, it depends on to whom you are
> speaking.

It's more complicated than one being working and the other being
show.....I have dogs from West German lines that are working lines,
not show lines.

Over-generalizing this a bit, but if you see a German dog that is
black and red with a saddle pattern and a plush coat, it's probably
from show lines.  German dogs that are sable, black, or bi-color are
more often the working lines dogs.

The DDR/Czech dogs have a different look than the West German dogs,
even when comparing the working dogs. The heads look very
different.....me personally I prefer the West German look. Best thing
to do is look at pictures.  Here's a link with pictures of several DDR
dogs: http://vombanachk9.homestead.com/stud_dogs.html

--Regina
2 GSDs and one permanently visiting papillon