[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: EARS-AS IN BAITING & Double handling

  • From: "M. Mike Lynch" <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GStiefferm@xxxxxxx, mtmsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:05:33 -0700 (PDT)

I teach all the dogs I have, (GSD's and Terriers) to double handle.  When
baiting, I usually use boiled/baked liver for the first day and on the second
day, I usually keep a left over from the dinner the previous night or run to
KFC/Safeway and buy chicken thats been cooked. I learned from Mrs. Mary Roberts
to "keep your bait pouch interesting to the dogs, this way, it still serves its
primary purpose in getting ears".

  Double handling is different.. when Im mixing food for the evening, I usually
start off by making a racket so they know Im about to feed. As Im dishing the
food, I usually click my tongue sharply just before I feed them. I do this
every night.  Not a big deal.

  When Im showing, if someone else is handling, usually all that is needed for
them to "look for me" and get excited is clicking my tongue as its been
associated with something good.  When JR Alcantara covered my Kerry blue in the
group ring, he was being doubled and made some beautiful pictures out of
himself.  So it does work for all breeds.

  Mike Lynch

  Check out the newly revised BlackHawk Farms,LLC at
  www.blackhawk-farms.com