[ SHOWGSD-L ] Don't QUIT!

  • From: "Terra Fairburn" <terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Elizabeth Wilkerson" <Wilkerse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 12:59:08 -0500

Hey Elizabeth,
I have learned that I don't let others direct how I lead my life. I try to
listen to what others say, but I set my own goals and work toward what I
want, (my reality). This dog world is really like our personal lives. You
pay dues, you stay true to your dreams and aspirations and make it work for
you. Make sure you keep people in your life that have similar goals and
aspirations. And in the dog world it can change on a dime. There is
pettiness and jealously but it is like that all over. The key is to center
yourself where you feel comfortable and fit in. Make your own place and
join with others that have the same goals etc. It can be done and if it
doesn't work out, move on but don't quit. You really have to like a good
challenge. We like to beat the odds here at Keggi Fair. Sometimes we win
and sometimes we don't. The dog game is expensive because even our time is
money. If it was easy we would probably have a lot more issues than we do.
I really believe that things will get better but everyone has to help and
offer suggestions not criticism. Our club will be as good as our weakest
link so we all have a purpose in this dog game. I would suggest that you
contact our new President, Frank Fasano or a director close to your home.
In my area I call Gary Szymczak when I want to understand something that is
put on the LIST or posted somewhere. He is a great guy and has always been
available to consult with about the dog club and other dog related stuff.
Remember that these folks are human too and they want to be respected and
validated as we do too. Introduce yourself to them and form a relationship
with the board members. I find most of them really neat people who love
this breed with all their hearts. Dog showing is competitive and you have
to have thick skin to last ... that is my experience. I actually think it
is more fair than what people say because we always have a choice where we
enter our dogs and under what judges. Some judges are not worth exhibiting
too so we don't. We have learned to watch the whole show and are
appreciative of a beautiful moving and good tempered dog, even if we don't
own it. Form relationships with others and introduce yourself to others at
dogs shows. There are a lot of good people out there that have the same
ideas and aspirations you have. Never give up!
Terra Fairburn
Keggi Fair