[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dog ramps

  • From: diane holliday <dlholliday@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:54:51 -0700

GrnRam415@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Does anyone know a good place to find bed ramps for dogs?

The problem with using dog ramps indoors is that most senior dogs
cannot take a steep incline, and ramps with a gentle incline take up
a lot of room. For humans, it is recommended that ramps incline one
inch per foot. For our dogs, we usually make the incline much more
steep, but it is difficult for most senior dogs to go up a steep
incline, even those experienced in agility without a "running" start.

Steps are usually easier for the dog to go up. Getting down, is
usually not as difficult as the stress is on the shoulders instead.

At most all breed dog shows, lots of vendors sell dog steps now.
Shipping them is expensive, so better to buy locally.

They usually look like this:
http://www.helpyourpets.com/petsteps.html

But here is a way to make your own.
http://www.srdogs.com/Media/steps.jpg

 From the senior dog project:
Steps and Ramps
One of the best devices we've ever come across to enable an older dog
to get up into a car or onto a bed is a set of steps constructed out
of styrofoam. The directions/diagrams for the device are easy to
follow. They are provided by Lisa Auen, who says: "The foam is sawed
to the dimensions in the schematic in the diagram and glued together
with Liquid Nail for Foam Insulation. I made two sets of steps for
less than $25, one for the Bronco and one for the foot of my bed. We
couldn't do our daily trek to the pastures without them." The Senior
Dogs Project made these steps then covered them in Astroturf, which
is very lightweight and gives good traction.

Ramps are sold by I.Q. Industries of New York. They come in different
sizes and are made of various materials, some lighter than others.
Prices range from $99.50 (for a small dog ramp) to $219. Shipping and
handling is $20 additional. Telephone (toll free): 1-877-364-5438.
Website at: http://www.dogramp.com
You may wish to build your own ramp out of plywood. A 3' x 6" length
with carpeting or Astroturf tacked onto it would work in many
situations. However, the weight of the device may not lend itself to
portability. Secure the ramp carefully when in use so that there is
no chance it will cause your dog to fall.

The topic of adapting your environment to help your senior dog is
under discussion right now on the yahoo dogread group. The author of
Senior Dogs for Dummies, Susan  McCullough was discussing ramps and
steps as a way to help your senior dog adapt to arthritis and
decreased mobility.

Diane Holliday
Scottsdale, AZ