[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dog flu vs horse flu

  • From: Penny Kroh <farmdogforever@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 09:21:55 -0400

Years ago, when I bought Doodles (my QH) he came with Equine Influenza,
probably because he had been used as a pony horse at Saratoga Race Track.
He had a clear, runny nose, cough and a temperature. The flu virus in
horses is VERY contagious, but not serious if recognized. The problem with
this virus is some vets think it's something else. Horses with it need to
REST--there are no antibiotics that will help it. The problem occurs when
the flu develops into something worse, like pneumonia. Then antibiotics can
treat it. We give the Equine Influenza Vac yearly.

The dog flu is also a virus and also very contagious. It also is not
life-threatening, unless, like horse flu, it develops into something else.
I would imagine that dogs with compromised immune systems (due to topical
poisons, wormers, et al) would be more susceptible to dog flu.

Penny in NC
The Farm Dog Forever