[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dog clones

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:37:39 -0400

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:17:49 -0700 (PDT), Paige McLaughlin
<jimchyn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:=20

>Have you seen that they have cloned a dog? It makes me wonder would
> we get the same thing every time that we cloned someone (human or dog)?

I don't think you would. And personally speaking, I wouldn't want a
clone of my beloved heart dog, Cody... even if such a thing were
possible and I had the money to afford it. I think what we are is
shaped as much by our environment and experiences as it is by our raw
genetics. I could never exactly duplicate the conditions under which
Cody was bred, born and raised. Who he was as an individual being was
shaped as much by his deceased mom and the nurturing she gave as it
was by where and how he was conceived and born. So yeah... I'd get an
identical copy of the physical English setter Cody was. But I think
something would be missing: his very essence... his soul.

And yes. I do believe dogs, cats, horses and every living thing on
this planet has a "soul" or a spirit. As each spirit is uniquely
individual, how could a clone possess the same spirit as its long-dead
genetic twin? I think each clone would have its own individual spirit.
Therefore, it would *have* to be different.

Anyway, that's just my take on it -- for whatever it's worth.

Karen C.
kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Herding Dogs are outstanding in their fields..."