[ SHOWGSD-L ] Dog Nazis in New Rochelle, New York..

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, GSDCALegislative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:36:43 -0400

shared by Peggy (and please crosspost everywhere)

If you reside in New Rochelle and want to walk your dog in Ward Acres
park, police may be
requesting to see a photo id of you the owner.  Not BSL but an eample of
some far
reaching legislation.

With apologies to New Rochelle citizens with a brain...their government
seems
to be missing a few brain cells.  Read the following webpage wherein it
tells
the WHOLE story about how the park came to be, just WHO has been keeping it
up (yes...the dog people) including ordering and spreading mulch, trash
pick
up, etc.

_http://www.welovewardacres.net/_ (http://www.welovewardacres.net/)

Looks to me like these politicos have cut their own throats!

 And there's more:  read on:

New Rochelle Police Demand Photo ID From Dog Owners
"Let me see your papers!"  Police in New Rochelle, New York are
demanding to see the
PHOTO ID of innocent dog owners who are walking in the park with their dogs.
Gee - the last time I checked, this wasn't Nazi Germany.  Gee - the last
time I checked -
it was illegal and unconstitutional for police to stop a citizen and demand
identification - for no reason.
Apparently, New Rochelle Mayor Noam Bramson and members of the mostly
Democratic City
Council  have been taking their cues from the current administration and
their penchant
for dispensing with democracy and those nasty old documents - the
Constitution and the
Bill of Rights.

Dog Nazis In New Rochelle
That's right, dear readers, the Mayor and city council have turned New
Rochelle into a
police state. The city is sending armed police into Ward Acres Park to
scour for dog
owners and demanding their photo ID.
Can you say unconstitutional?  Can you say civil rights? Can you say 4th
Amendment?
If it could happen here.......
in an affluent suburb in Westchester County just north of New York City
- it can happen
anywhere.
Last March, the New Rochelle City Council passed an ordinance (see a
copy HERE) that
requires dog owners to apply for a special photo identification permit
to walk a dog at
the Ward Acres Park - a 62 acre PUBLIC park.

Requiring Photo ID & Permit
To obtain this "special permit", dog-owning residents must provide a
current dog license,
proof of rabies vaccination and proof of residency.
Furthermore - the city is charging $50 bucks for EACH dog - and $250 per
non-resident
dog.
Each person walking dogs in Ward Acres PArk is required to have this
special photo ID
with them at all times - and produce that ID upon demand of the police.
Are these people out of freaking control or what????

Dog Owners Challenge Ordinace
Fortunately, local dog-loving attorney, Jeff Weigand is the man who is
standing up
against the Dog Nazis in New Rochelle.
Jeff has organized local dog owners to challenge this ordince as being
illegal and
unconstitutional. He is the owner of his beloved LuLu, and together,
they have a website:
 www.WeLoveWardAcres.com

Furthermore - Jeff is a man after my own heart.
See - there is an election coming up in November, and Jeff, God bless
him, has put up a
voters guide to help dog owners navigate the candidates for office this
November.
Dog owners who value the right to own a dog, the freedom to walk a dog
in a public park -
and the right to walk ina public place without interference from police
to help support
Jeff and the dog owners in New Rochelle.  You can reach Jeff via email at:
jpwiegand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Save Dogs & Democracy - VOTE
We cannot allow politicians to deny citizens the basic constitutional
protections
provided to each and every one of us.  We cannot allow politicians to
discriminate
against dog owners.
Dog owners, just like everyone else, have the right to access public
spaces, the right to
use and enjoy public parks just like all other citizens.
Dog owners have the right to freely walk upon any street or any other
public place, and
to be secure in their persons and without interference from police.
It's time to Save Dogs & Democracy.